There's also a PlayStation 2 version of the game. Those looking for an updated port of the PC addiction will gag, however, as the PS2 Baldur's Gate is much more mindless hack 'n slash than it's PC father, to the point where it's been dismissed as "PS2's Diablo 2". Really though, that's a harsh insult, as Baldur's Gate is a fine game in it's own right, if you like the whole "kill monsters, get cool stuff, kill more monsters and get even cooler stuff, level up, repeat" thing. The graphics engine is quite nice, most of the boss battles are amusing, if a bit simply implemented, and there's even a few odd platforming elements (that are thankfully short, as the engine isn't really meant for such things. Good little diversion though). The interface is also very well laid out, and while it uses every button (save the analog stick buttons) on the PS2 controller, everything becomes very comfortable after a small amount of time with the game.

There are small problems with the game, though. Some of the boss battles are downright uninspiring. There's no resistance/weakness system set up for elements (this may have to do with the fact that certain elements do more damage than others), and yet undead take more damage from blunt weapons. There really is no excuse for a lack of a character creation option, as the story changes little (if at all!) between the three main characters you can select (those being a human archer, an Elven sorceress, and a Dwarven fighter).

Really though, a lot of this is nitpicking. This is a polished game, through-and-through, and IGN's 9.3 review score only reinforces it. It's just a pity that the game seems to have fared poorly (It's one of the few non-budget PS2 games that you can get new at stores for $30), as I would've loved to see an expanded sequel. Really though, it's no suprise, as it was doomed as soon as the name Baldur's Gate was slapped onto the DVD jewel case. The name immediately attracts the hardcore RPG crowd, and they all (unsuprisingly) turned their noses up at it. Much like the PC's Diablo 2, it had too much to live up to. As my friend Andrey said about the latter, "if it was called 'generic game number #4877836', it would've been huge".