This is slightly related to the title of this node, so I have no compunction about writing this here.

One day, at the place where I worked (at the time), I was given the task of reprogramming the phone system used for the place. It seemed like a challenge worthy of me, so I took it on. I started by using the 'primary' programming functions: mostly reading commands out of a manual, and pushing the appropriate buttons on the command phone.

After about a half an hour, I figured out this was impractical; I had no feedback on what I was doing, no way to tell if I had changed a setting correctly or not. As I flipped through the manual for a solution, I saw that the 'secondary' programming option was to hook up a direct cable connection with a computer, install some software so the phone box could talk to the computer box, and program the thing with feedback from a monitor. I wondered briefly why this was 'secondary,' then started asking around for a spare machine.

Turned out the only unused computer was a 286 with MS-DOS version 5 (!) Well, despite being very obsolete, the machine was doing the job. Except some people would go into the room when I was not there, see the DOS prompt, and try to restart Windows, which often resulted in some serious problems. So, I changed the command prompt to read, "I am the Oracle. Ask me your question." Just because I prefer consistency, I also altered the command files so "Bad command or file name" was replaced with "I do not know."

The next day, the machine's screen looked like this:

I am the Oracle. Ask me your question:  why is the sky blue?
I do not know.
I am the Oracle. Ask me your question:  what kind of answer is that?
I do not know.