Today I cycled all the way downtown from my home in Brentwood. Not really a super long ride, but probably the longest I've taken in quite some time. I cycled to the University, stopping at the bank on the way to pay the power bill that had been forgotten during my exams several weeks before. I've never had a good eye for color, but even I could see that my green RAD pants just didn't go with the forest green of my new cycling jacket. It was very ugly, but I wore it out anyway. While I was on campus I though I had better stop off and pay my late fees at the library. I knew I had two dollars in finds, so I wasn't expecting it to be five. I must have had those other three books on Go out for an extra day.

After that I cycled past Foothills Hospital and down a hill and eventually across Memorial drive, and then I got on the bike paths and took that all the way down to Prince's Island Park. I did not know that there is a pedestrian bridge underneath the bridge that carries Crowchild over the Bow; now I do.

The day was sweet, and a little to warm to be wearing the jacket. I could smell the trees and grass, and I was amazed by the beauty of the city, both to the eyes and to the nose. It's not like one might expect when one drives in from the south and you can see the smog hanging over the city like a shroud. I feel as if I sort of under-appreciate the city I live and work and learn in.

By the time I got to the paths, I was already getting saddle sore. I had already lasted a lot longer than I would have been able to if I had only had pants on; the bike shorts under the RAD pants really helped. That's the first time I've ever worn bike shorts; I'm getting prepared to cycle to work and save myself the transit fare. I need the exercise anyway. I've fallen into the scrawny nerd boy stereotype.

I haven't been to Prince's Island in a very long time; a year or two at least. When I was last there I saw a Shakespeare in the Park play, but I can't remember which one. I gawked at all the buildings and new condos and the construction like a common tourist, as if I haven't seen them all a thousand times before. It's always interesting to read the a tourist's perspective on your home city; you sort of see things through their eyes that you've seen so many times that you've forgotten what it means, or its just always been there and you never thought about it in the first place. I read the part in Travels with Samantha, where Phillip is in Calgary, and found it interesting. We Calgarians love our +15 system. It gets us between buildings in bad weather and gives us a semi public place to hold pancake breakfasts during Stampede week.

I was able to make it right to my building, then I went back to the park for a bit, and then cycled my tired ass home. And that was basically my DDO (designated day off).