Everything Psalter

Back | Up | Forward



From the Great Bible, 1540 edition (known as Cranmer's Bible). Set in the Book of Common Prayer, 1662, for Morning Prayer on the fourth day of the month.

PSALM 19. Cœli enarrant.

The heavens declare the glory of God : and the firmament sheweth his handy-work.
2 One day telleth another : and one night certifieth another.
3 There is neither speech nor language : but their voices are heard among them.
4 Their sound is gone out into all lands : and their words into the ends of the world.
5 In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun : which cometh forth as a bridegroom out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a giant to run his course.
6 It goeth forth from the uttermost part of the heaven, and runneth about unto the end of it again : and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7 The law of the Lord is an undefiled law, converting the soul : the testimony of the Lord is sure, and giveth wisdom unto the simple. 8 The statutes of the Lord are right, and rejoice the heart : the commandement of the Lord is pure, and giveth light unto the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, and endureth for ever : the judgements of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold : sweeter also than honey, and the honey-comb.
11 Moreover, by them is thy servant taught : and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12 Who can tell how oft he ofdendeth : O cleanse thou me from my secret faults.
13 Keep thy servant also from presumptuous sins, lest they get dominion over me : so shall I be undefiled, and innocent from the great offence.
14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart : by alway acceptable in thy sight.
15 O Lord : my strength and my redeemer.



From the Vulgate, where it is listed, according to the Catholic manner, as Psalm 18:

Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei et opus manus eius adnuntiat firmamentum.
Dies diei eructat verbum et nox nocti indicat scientiam.
Non est sermo et non sunt verba quibus non audiatur vox eorum.
In universam terram exivit sonus eorum et in finibus orbis verba eorum.
Soli posuit tabernaculum in eis et ipse quasi sponsus procedens de thalamo suo exultavit ut fortis ad currendam viam.
A summitate caeli egressus eius et cursus eius usque ad summitatem illius nec est qui se abscondat a calore eius.
Lex Domini inmaculata convertens animam testimonium Domini fidele sapientiam praestans parvulis.
Praecepta Domini recta laetificantia cor mandatum Domini lucidum inluminans oculos.
Timor Domini mundus perseverans in saecula iudicia Domini vera iustificata in semet ipsis.
Desiderabilia super aurum et lapidem pretiosum multum et dulciora super mel et favum redundantem Unde et servus tuus docebit ea in custodiendis eis fructus multus.
Errores quis intelleget ab occultis munda me.
A superbis quoque libera servum tuum si non fuerint dominati mei tunc inmaculatus ero et mundabor a delicto maximo.
Sint placentes sermones oris mei meditatio cordis mei in conspectu tuo Domine fortitudo mea et redemptor meus.



The psalm in either case may be followed by the Gloria Patri.

The beginning of this psalm provides the core text of the hymn The Spacious Firmament on High. Verses 3 and 4 of the 1540 text are used in Dorothy L Sayers' novel The Nine Tailors, where they appear as in inscription in a belfry. No other translation I am aware of has 'but' in verse 3. The last two verses are often used as a prayer before preaching a sermon.