At approximately 4.30pm today, Tony Blair's government is going to ask the House of Commons to vote on a bill that could, amongst other things, permit the detention of suspected terrorists for upto 90 days without charge. This is a bill that is facing serious opposition, and it is possible that the current Labour government could lose its first Commons vote since coming to power in 1997.

The prospect of the bill failing is significant enough for Gordon Brown to have been recalled from Israel — within minutes of landing — by the Chief Whip. Jack Straw has also curtailed an official visit, returning from Russia so that he might support the government.

At present, the maximum period for which a suspected terrorist can be detained without charge is 14 days. Other countries in Europe that have also suffered terrorist attacks, for example Spain, do not have laws allowing for detention without charge for upto 90 days.

Tony Blair has accused those who oppose his terrorism bill of complacency.
Liberty, the civil liberties group, has likened the proposal to internment, and labelled it a gross attack on civil liberties.
I've heard people on BBC Radio Five Live and BBC Radio 2 speak in support of the bill, believing that it will protect them from attack, and therefore it protects their civil liberties: 'Good people have nothing to fear.'
Opposition leaders have suggested that the plans will alienate ethnic minority groups.
Some police chiefs have requested the 90 day proposal because of the complex nature of terrorism cases.

When South Africa imposed lengthy detention without trial, one of the international voices of opposition was Jack Straw.

The agency that I am using to find me supply teaching work has been taking rather a long time to process my paperwork. I called them yesterday, to offer a subtle prod. I was told that someone would return my call. You don't need a recollection of the entire conversation: here is the interesting bit.

Agent: 'I see that you've spent time in Israel. How long have you spent there?'
DEB: 'It's difficult to say exactly, I've been there on numerous occasions.'
Agent: 'Have you spent over a year there in any one visit?'
DEB: 'No, the longest single period that I have spent there is six months.'
Agent: 'Right. Well, because you've visited the Middle East, we need to have a letter of recommendation from someone.'
DEB: 'I don't understand, you already have my Criminal Records Disclosure, and my references. What more can you need?'
Agent: 'We're very thorough here.'
DEB: 'Is this to ensure that I'm not involved in terrorism?'
Agent: 'We have to be very careful.'

I've just finished my teacher training: my university checked my credentials, I have a Criminal Records Bureau disclosure, I've been working in schools since November 2004, I have references. We have to protect society. I'm just not sure how I present a threat to anyone because I have visited the Middle East, or how a letter of recommendation is going to assure anyone of my character.



All that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.


I'm not sure what doing something or doing nothing is anymore.




The bill was defeated, 322 : 291 votes.