Note: I am in active correspondance with Warner Chappell Music (the rights holders) over permission to use these lyrics. Please spare them from the Copyright Axe Squad for now. Thank you.

Update: Warner Chappell has not given me explicit permission in a replicable form. However, they did look at the site while I was asking them and did not request a removal. I just think they have no mechanism for actually granting this type of permission.


Eight Ball

by Underworld / on The Beach soundtrack

~ an experiment in poetic form ~

more explanations follow

today
today
i saw a man

today
i saw a man

using an empty

whisky flask

as a walkie talkie

today
today

i saw a man
today

with a flaming eight ball

tattooed on his arm

today
today
today

i saw a man

today
i saw a man

using an empty
whiskey flask as a walkie talkie

today
i met a man
who threw his arms around me
and I've given
and I've given

today
today
today

today
today
today

we laughed
we laughed

waiting for a train

for a few

into the city

seconds

today

that white stuff
that white stuff

waiting for the train

that stuff

into the city

that's what makes me feel

today

feel
feel

today

feel

happy

.

.

.

You made it this far. I'm flattered. In any case, if you didn't know, the actual text above is the lyrics to the Underworld song Eight Ball. It can be heard on the soundtrack to The Beach (and, as far as I can tell, is the only redeeming thing about the entire film). Figures that it plays during the credit roll. In any case, while I wanted these lyrics up here, I firmly believe in avoiding unadulturated lyrics nodes, and have d/v-ed and killed a few in my time. So, while hardlinking almost half-heartedly, I realized that it just might be possible to embed something vaguely poetic inside the lyrics, using the...well, you can figure that part out for yourself.

A personal recommendation: Underworld produces some of the most amazing working/coding music on the planet. It's trance, but somehow it gives you energy instead of sapping it. It's techno, but somehow you can sit still and meditate while listening to it. It's electronica, but is organic enough to tweak all manner of reflexes in your instinctive DNA. It's dance music, but best danced to alone in a crowded space with visions of synesthesia dancing in your brain.

I wish, wish WISH I could experience synesthesia while at an Underworld concert. Just my unaltered senses alone are overloaded enough to knock me on my portly ass.