Aiiiiigh! Nononononono. :-)

Buck Rogers was the main character of a daily comic strip run in American newspapers starting in the 1920s or 1930s (I'm sure there are others who can tell you precisely when; or I'll add more info when I'm near my hardbound archive of the strips).

The comic strip was based on (or vice versa, I'm not sure which) a novel by Philip Francis Nowlan.

As in that novel, Buck arrives in the future after being trapped in a mine cave-in which places him in hibernation. After emerging, he find himself in the middle of a skirmish between a pair of half-breed bandits and the lovely and talented Wilma Deering, whom he saves from doom.

The comic strip was a staple of the American cultural fantastic for many, many years. It has spawned numerous spinoffs, including the unfortunate Glen Larson TV show mentioned above as well as a whole slew of newer books. Some were based in the TV show's universe.One of the most recent is a rewrite of the original comic strip, which is itself a modified version of the original novel. So we have a novelization of a comic strip based on a novel. This generational game of literary telephone has produced a novel by Martin Caidin named Buck Rogers: A Life in the Future.

The latter book tries to tell an abridged version of the stories from the comic strip, with some changes. For example, Killer Kane is no longer an outlaw but in fact an Admiral in the American forces; America is now Amerigo, etc. etc. However, some of the main storylines are present and some of the background information (future history) agrees much more closely with the comic strip than with the original novel. Ardala Valmar is a rival of Wilma Deering, yes, but she is an American (Amerigan?) military officer and colleague of Wilma and Buck, not an alien princess as in the shudder Larson show. And no, there are no beedeebedeebeep annoying-ass robots or frisbee computers as main characters in the comic strip or the novels, and Buck tries to educate folks on his (past) world with much more accuracy. :-)

Buck Rogers is itself derivative, in a way; the story closely resembles that of the book When the Sleeper Wakes by H.G. Wells, which is also about a man who sleeps in the early twentieth century and wakes to become an important figure in a strange future. I'm not positive that the Wells book came first, but I'm fairly sure of it. Spiregrain reminds me that, of course, the whole 'snoozing in the hills' sounds like Rip van Winkle.