Allergy Safe Recipes

1/2 cup sugar
6 tbls. cornstarch (or substitute other thickner)
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups nut milk OR coconut milk, thinned with water a bit
2 well-beaten eggs or egg substitute in equivalent amount*
1 tsp. vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
Optional: pie shell, cooked and ready to go

Mix the sugar, salt, and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler** until the cornstarch lumps are gone. Slowly add the nut milk, stirring constantly.
Stir constantly for 8 to 12 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Cover and cook 10 more minutes. Take about one cup of the milk mixture and slowly add to the beaten eggs; you want to avoid cooking the eggs. Now add the egg-milk mixture back into the rest of the milk mixture.
Cook 2 more minutes, stirring often. Do not overcook. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Cool slightly then stir to release steam. Add vanilla and stir in well. Let cool until warm to the touch.

If you are making a pie, get out a cooked pie shell. If you are using a bowl, get that out. Alternate layers of sliced bananas and warm mixture, making sure each banana slice is coated. If the bananas aren't coated they turn purple-gray, but still taste okay. If the bananas are added while the mixture is too hot, they turn tough. If the mixture is too cool, the banana essence doesn't permeate the custard.

*you can use egg substitute here (ex. Ener-G egg replacer) with adequate results, but the pie won't be quite the same.
**You can substitute a heat-proof bowl over a pot of hot water for the double boiler; you just need to have a lid that fits for later. The custard will stick if you do not use a double boiler.


Copyright 1997-1998, Eileen Kupstas Soo. Use and copying of this information are permitted as long as (1) no fees or compensation are charged for use, copies or access to this information, and (2) this copyright notice is included intact. -- CST Approved.