For Us, The Living was the first novel written by science fiction master Robert A. Heinlein. He originally wrote the novel in 1939, but it was rejected by publishers. It was published only recently in 2003, with editing done by Spider Robinson, 14 years after Heinlein's death. This novel foreshadows many of his other novels, as the society of 2086 greatly resembles the one depicted in Methuselah's Children, and it mentions events from Revolt in 2100, such as the rise and fall of Nehemiah Scudder.

The main character of the novel is Perry Nelson, a naval officer who lives in the 1930s. He gets into a car accident which costs him his life, but his spirit enters the body of a man living in 2086. He meets a resident of the time period, a dancer named Diana, who proceeds to educate him on the customs and ways of society in the year 2086.

The utopian society depicted in the novel is very Libertarian with more than a little socialism. No act is prohibited unless it directly damages another person or infringes upon the rights of others. In addition, every person is guaranteed a small stipend which is enough to make everyone a member of the middle class. Prices are controlled by the government to stop inflation, but people are allowed to sell homemade goods at whatever price they choose. Doctors are highly paid by the government, and politicians are specially trained instead of simply being rich, powerful, white men.

On the whole, the novel is more of a social treatise than a story, and it becomes evident at times that it is not Nelson who is being lectured, but the reader. Despite my love of all things Heinlein, I can see why this novel was not published in 1939, and if it wasn't for the huge following Heinlein gained during his life, this novel would never have been published. Still, if you are a fan of Heinlein, and have read most of his other works, this novel is still well worth reading.


SciFiQuest 9999