The other day I was at my partner's parent's house. There is a young magpie hanging about their place at the moment. It isn't afraid of people, and often goes up real close to you when you're out side, just to be cheeky.

That day I saw it and threw a few leaves towards it which it jumped up and caught! I thought that this was really cool, so after dropping my partner's daughter in the house, I stopped and started having a bit of a play with the magpie (which had been dubbed Maggie).

I was holding out sticks and Maggie was grabbing the end and playing tug-o'-war with me with the stick.

I managed to reach out and pat it and it rolled over onto it's back and kept biting the stick. It gave me a few nips from time to time and kept squawking constantly, but generally enjoyed the game.

My partner's daughter came out to see what I was doing. She had bare feet, and Maggie, spotting these lilly-white digits made a bee-line for them and started nipping her toes. She got a hell of a fright and ran screaming inside.

It was extremely funny, but I had to act the concerned adult and go see if she was alright.

Magpies can be good pets, but you have to teach them not to bite as they can become quite vicious when they get used to people.