For those who lack a dutch oven or cast-iron pot, here is how you make good old Mac&Cheese with flavor with basic cooking equipment. This is the recipe that my mother has been using for the past few years:


Ingredients:

= =

Melt butter in saucepan at medium heat to start, add flour and let cook 2 minutes. At the same time, bring a pot of water to boil to cook the elbow macaroni. Usually 5-7 minutes cook time on elbows. Slowly add milk to saucepan. Add mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper to taste. Stir the sauce to keep things fairly homogeneous, the elbows probably need stirring too.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees now. Add the 8 ounces of cheese to the saucepan, diced is fine, increase the heat. If the elbows are done, drain water however you like. Once the cheese is all melted, add the macaroni elbows to saucepan. Pour concoction into an appropriately sized glass baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and place the dish into the preheated oven. Cook for 25 minutes. 12 minutes in, begin cooking your choice of green vegetable. Spinach and broccoli go well with the dish and disassociate you from George Bush Sr.. Makes ~ 4 servings. Finally, enjoy.

Nota Bene:

The mustard, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce are not necessary but give this rather typically bland Midwestern dish much needed flavor. The hot sauce doesn't burn the mouth but you can taste it easily, making the dish great, especially for serving company. Double the recipe for a large group. Halve the recipe for an intimate dinner. If you are in college and need not to eat bad food, this will be great for you.

Also, under no circumstances should you use margarine, it is yucky and contains all wrong kinds of transfats.