Introduction

Quidditch is a fictional sport in the Harry Potter universe. It is a semi-contact sport played by two teams of wizards.

Playing Field

Quidditch is played on, and mostly above, a rectangular field. The goal areas are located at each of the narrower ends of the field (as in football and American football). At each end are three goalposts consisting of a circular hoop mounted vertically, facing the playing field, on a supporting post. Each goalpost is 50 feet in overall height.

Equipment

Balls:
Quaffle (1)
The Quaffle is a large red inert ball. It can be put through the goal to earn points (see Scoring), usually by a Chaser (see Players).
Bludgers (2)
The Bludgers are large, heavy black semi-inert balls which act as moving obstacles. In a collision, they will knock a player off their broom, or throw the player off-balance, due to their mass. Bludgers are typically aimed at specific players by a Beater (see Players), but will also move under their own power if not otherwise directed.
Golden Snitch (1)
The Golden Snitch is a small (walnut-sized), golden active ball. It flies around under its own power with a pair of small silver wings. It is very difficult to spot in the airspace above the Quidditch field, but it is critical because of its value (see Scoring) and because its capture ends the game. The Golden Snitch is hunted by each team's Seeker (see Players).
Other Equipment:
Clubs (2 per team)
Each Beater (see Players) carries a club with which to whack the Bludgers into the path of members of the opposing team.
Broomsticks (7 per team)
Each player rides a flying broomstick in order to move around the playing field. Each player typically supplies their own broomstick, which gives certain advantages to players with access to top-quality, high-performance equipment.

Players

Each Quidditch team consists of seven players.

Beaters (2)
Beaters carry a club with which to whack the Bludgers into the path of members of the opposing team. As such, they act in a defensive role by generally hampering the other team's actions and protecting their own team from the impact of the Bludgers.
Chasers (3)
Chasers attempt to gain control of the Quaffle and put it through the goal hoops to score points (see Scoring). Teamwork is essential, as in football (soccer) or basketball; Chasers frequently get the Quaffle nearer the goals by passing it to another Chaser on their team.
Keeper (1)
Each team's Keeper stays near the goals to defend them from opposing Chasers. The Keeper's role is comparable to a hockey goalie who defends three separate goals simultaneously.
Seeker (1)
The Seeker's task is to locate and capture the elusive Golden Snitch as quickly as possible. They typically stay out of the action until they see the Snitch, at which time they dive down to grab it. Once a Seeker has captured the Golden Snitch, the game is ended. The Seeker's role is critical because capturing the Snitch is worth enough points that Quaffle goals typically pale by comparison; the team whose Seeker captures the Golden Snitch almost always wins the game.

Gameplay

Gameplay is continuous and fluid. All seven players from each team remain in the playing space throughout the game, which has no fixed duration. Barring serious accidents, play does not stop until the Golden Snitch has been captured by a Seeker.

Scoring

10 points are earned for putting the Quaffle through any of the opposing team's three goals.

150 points are earned for capturing the Golden Snitch.

The team with the highest score at the end of the game is the winner.