This has been attributed to many factors. Six years ago, poetry was given its own month April. Much like Black History Month, Women’s History Month - National Poetry Month is was created to generate awareness of poetry. “Started by the Academy of American Poets in 1996 as a way to bring poetry to a larger audience, the event has garnered consistent national attention…The hype may be working. Bookstores have reported that poetry sales rise 20 to 150 percent during the month.” (1) In addition, the rising popularity of poetry readings, most especially the poetry slam have been attributed to an increase in sales. “Barnes & Noble, the nation's largest book retailer, which stocks 7,500 poetry titles, says it has seen sales of poetry books rise by 30 percent in the last three years. And City Lights Booksellers in San Francisco, whose stock of 3,500 to 4,000 titles makes it perhaps the most avid independent retailer of poetry, says it has had a 60 percent increase in poetry sales in the last eight years.” (2) Finally, media attention or movies which feature slam poets and/or the poetry slam has renewed an interest in poetry. Love Jones, Slam and Slam Nation have all contributed to the growth of public interest in poetry.

(1) Poets & Writers, “News From The Writing World”, April 5, 1999, Heather Shane Bleakeslee, (2) LA TIMES, “Part Art, Part Hip-Hop And Part Circus; Slammers Shake Up an Interest in Poetry, August 16, 1999, ”BRUCE WEBER