A goal to which all poet aspire. Completing a manuscript and sending it out is not the first step. Many emerging poets focus so intently on the first book, that they ruin their chance of ever getting one.

The first step is publication in small literary magazines. While these magazines have a small distribution, they are read by your target market – poets , people who publish poets and people who book poets for readings. In addition, they are critical for becoming eligible for grants. See: Poetry is a business, grant proposals.

A common mistake poets make is to begin at the end. Poets should begin submitting work to small regional journals. After generating publishing credits on their resume, they can begin sending their work out to larger, more well known journals such as: The American Poetry Review and Ploughshares. It is critical to assess your market niche and determine what your opportunities are. This means, in addition to writing poetry, you need to read poetry. Who is your competition? Where are they publishing? How is your voice unique? More important than reading poets is researching editors. Many editors of small literary journals are also poets. Discovering their bias is critical to having success obtaining publication credits.

Avoid vanity presses. See - poetry.com