Kabuki is a comic book by David Mack set in a future Japan. Very cyberpunk and violent, with remarkably good characterization. Although his symbolism and panel progression are among the best in the American comic industry, Mack thinks he knows a lot more about Japan than he actually knows, in a very William Gibson-esque fashion. His ideas about the Ainu, in particular, annoy me no end.


Kabuki theater

Kabuki theater is one of Japan's native theatrical traditions. It is characterized by elaborate set and costume design, and the fact that all the actors are male, even for female roles (unlike, say, Takarazuka).

Dave Barry describes watching kabuki as being less enjoyable than eye surgery, and for once I disagree. Kabuki is an amazing spectacle, and has influenced much of subsequent Japanese theater. Considering its gaudy aesthetic, the origins of kabuki are hardly surprising - it was originally invented by a woman named Okuni, who (WARNING: Oversimplification imminent!) developed it from various existing theatrical traditions (like Noh) as a way for prostitutes to advertise their wares. A lot of historical stuff happened, and women were banned from the stage entirely. So therein lies the origins of the onnagata, the male actor specializing in female roles.

Onnagata are very good at what they do. With all their makeup, espcially from a distance, their body language conveys femininity astoundingly well. Onnagata are not always bishounen, but it helps.

Another unique characteristic of kabuki is a kind of audience participation - and I don't mean the Rocky Horror Picture Show variety. Essentially, the actors feel free to step out of character, address the audience, compliment another actor's performance, whatever - and the audience gets to respond. Kind of fun, really, and completely different from western theater.

So kabuki is not boring. At all. Seriously, that's what Noh Theater is for (Sorry, Noh fans, it's just not my bag. I do know people who can get into the Noh Groove, though, so you shouldn't let me pass judgement on it). In any case If you get a chance, go see a kabuki play. Even with no knowledge of Japanese, the glitz alone should be enough entertainment value.