There are several simple things that you can do to help Sea Turtles, and therefore ensure their future existence.

Keep your Distance
If you see a nesting female, for God’s sake don’t shine a light in her eyes, shout at her, run up to her or poke her. This could lead to her abandoning her nest, and all of those itty-bitty little hatchling will never see the light of day, as some Rasta will sell/eat them. Don’t ‘help her back into the sea, or move her to get a better view, she will run off. If you are going to take photos then don’t use flash, even though it will probably be at night, and stay behind her so that she can’t see you. If you scare her then she will probably never come to that beach again.

Stick to the Road
Look fool, you aren’t supposed to drive on the beach, so don’t, idiot. The weight from the vehicle will compact the sand, so the hatchlings will be stuck, suffocate and DIE, and you don’t want that on your conscience. If it is essential that you must drive on the beach (idiot) then drive below the obvious tide line (turtles lay their eggs above the tide line), this line can change so be careful nonetheless.

Remove Beach litter
Don’t drop, dump or burn litter on the beach. This encourages bacteria and fungi growth in and around the eggs. It will also obstruct the emergence of the hatchlings. Place any garbage you find or drop in a litter bin (trash can).

Share the beach
If there are deck chairs on the beach then they should be stacked at night, allowing more room for the turtles to nest. During the day don’t go around sticking umbrellas and sunshades into the ground, you might hit a nest and kill a lot of baby turtles, use shades with flat stands. If at all possible go below the tidemark where the eggs will not be buried.

Report sightings
There are several organisations around the globe that you can call and say that you have spotted Sea Turtle activity, and most calls are free. Anything that you see can be helpful, nesting females, hatchlings, nests or disorientated hatchlings. If you do see hatchlings that are not heading at once to the sea, but to a brighter, artificial light then you should save them, otherwise they will inevitably be slaughtered. They should be kept in a dry container with slightly damp sand, then you should inform a Sea Turtle organisation, let the pros take it from there (ask them if you can see them being released, its great fun to watch, I’ve seen it myself).

Get that Light Out!
Bright lights visible from the beach will discourage nesting females, and draw hatchlings inland. Hatchlings will naturally emerge at night (they can sense the temperature drop) and head towards the brightest horizon (naturally the sea). If they go inland then predators such as crabs hunt them, die from dehydration or are crushed by vehicles. There shells are very soft at this stage, and so they are very vulnerable. Lights that shine on the beach should be directed away, lowered or shielded. You can also hide them behind some vegetation, or use Sodium Vapour Bulbs, which are less visible to Sea Turtles.

All of these little things can help the endangered species of Sea Turtles, and help bring them back from near extinction.