The big Brownie trip to Sea Rim Park. This was the little one's first Brownie trip, in actuality. We had a fantastic time. The park itself is a giant marsh, and all that goes with it. Texas Parks and Wildlife has built a large wooden walkway out over the wetland, allowing a small tour of sorts.

We saw a total of three alligators...that was exciting for all involved. At one point, an eight foot alligator was close enough to touch. The children all loved getting to see them, and the mothers were all visibly worried. Any time the alligator swam a little closer, all the mothers would try to get the children to sit a little farther back. The ranger with us wasn't too worried however, so long as the kids didn't put any limbs over the water.

After the little tour, the kids played a game with the ranger, while I helped a few of the mothers unload the van. The fact that I was there to help with carrying of heavy items was made clear when I first volunteered to go. Somewhat ironic, considering my stature. Nevertheless, I performed as expected, and hauled coolers and firewood down onto the beach.

When the kids arrived, we started them on digging the hole for a fire pit in the beach. The wind was humming, so there was a bit of effort involved in lighting it. None of us had ever built a fire on the beach, and I think I was the only one who had ever built a campfire of any kind. We sorted it out, and after about a dozen matches, fire was created.

Of course, what's a girl scout outing without roasted hot dogs and s'mores? Personally, I've always found a little grit in my hot dog is what makes it. The kids were sweet, and offered me plenty of s'mores and hot-dogs. Some had never roasted anything over a fire, so it was neat to watch them, their fledging attempts where they went from ice cold weenies that were held too far away from the flame, to those that were practically placed ontop of the logs. The s'mores were a big hit, but of course. Since when is chocolate not a hit with 7 year olds?

And so all good things must come to an end. Leaving was actually the worst part of the day, since dusk was upon us, as were the mosquitos. There seemed like millions, swarming and striking, fiercely seeking our blood. Many flitted into the cars, increasing our misery. By the time the hour long drive was over, corpses were splattered on arms, seats, and windows, a grizzly display of the fierce war we fought. All in all, however, a fantastic trip for the kids, and the adults.