Philadelphia is the second largest city on the east coast and the fifth in the nation. The Greater Philadelphia is made up of various counties:Lancaster County, Montgomery County, Bucks County, Delaware County, and Chester County. The current mayor of Philadelphia is democrat John F. Street.

Climate: Four distinct seasons with moderately cold winter and hot, humid summer. January average temperature, 33 degrees Fahrenheit; July average temperature, 75 degrees; average yearly rainfall, 41 inches; normal seasonal snowfall, 21 inches.

Philadelphia was founded in 1682 by William Penn who designed the city as a grid. Streets running north to south where numbered from First to Eighth, and streets running east to west where named after trees. In 1776, the representatives of the thirteen colonies met in Philadelphia’s Independence Hall sign the Declaration of Independence. In 1987, delegates of the 13 colonies met in Philadelphia to unify the new country’s governmental structure with the adoption of the U.S. Constitution. Philadelphia was the capital of the United States from 1790 to 1800.

Tourist attractions in Philadelphia include:

As of a study in 1997-98 by the United States Department of Education, the Philadelphia region has the second largest number of colleges in the nation (49). These include The Art Institute of Philadelphia, Beaver College, Bryn Mawr College, Chestnut Hill College, Drexel University, Haverford College, La Salle University, Moore College of Art and Design, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science, Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science, Rosemont College, St. Joseph’s University, Swarthmore College, Temple University, Thomas Jefferson University, University of the Arts, University of Pennsylvania, Valley Forge Military Academy and College, Villanova University, West Chester University and Widener University.