There are 2 standard "genres" of sword with notable differences:- The Japanese, like the Katana (sometimes called a Tanto, though this is actually a much shorter knife) and the European, like Broadswords.

Oriental swords are superior to the European swords in many ways- notably edge and weight. The Katana is sharp and very light, about half of the weight of a European sword- and in some ways, more deadly.

While the Broadsword relies on weight and strength for damage, the Katana uses a razor edge. Case in point: Katanas have very sharp edges while broadswords tend toward bread-knife sharpness.

However, the Katana's edge would not penatrate armour as well, as the edge is thin, while the armour's hard and normally curved face will rebound it. The force needed to heft the broadsword in the first place and the momentum and weight of a broadsword will rip the above armour apart.

This is not to say that it (the katana) won't penatrate armour; It still cuts through most armour like butter. But the armour that it won't penetrate will be like tough card to the broadsword.

Also of note is momentum; The edge and lightness of the katana made momentum, basically, pathetic. They did around the same damage from an overhead cut as a light swing. The broadsword, when hefted above the head, (and assuming the wielder had enough strength to bring it back over) could happily cut through an armoured horse and rider.

Katana were easier to use, by far, due to the lightness and sharpness. Though they lack weight for killing heavily armoured targets, those who wore anything lighter than samurai plate were slaughtered. They were also used with about the same strength as a broadsword, thereby making them so much faster- hence the art of Iaijutsu, or fast draw. The sword was used to draw and strike simultaniously, and the opponent wouldn't even get a chance to blink.

Broadswords were heavy, sluggish, and slow. But they were deadly in the hands of a strong man, and lighter swords like the short sword could happily kill in even a weak mans hands. They were slow and took time to recover from the blow, but the attack could deal so much damage.

The lack of speed created the art of Fencing, using lighter than normal swords for parrying at speed; Oriental swords were more difficult to parry (they moved faster), but the slower european swords were parriable. Fencing was used to stop blows and to disarm the opponent or use his momentum against him.

European swords tended to be longer and more likely to hit at range, the Japanese swords a bit shorter and easier to use. Both could stab; The point on a Japanese weapon was worse, as the swords were cutters, not stabbers. Sharpened tips were common on European swords, particularly fencing swords.

The Japanese sword was made from 2 types of metal- a a hard and a soft steel folded many times to give the bent "banana" shape. It was strong enough to resist a blow against soft stone in many cases. The european sword was made out of one type of metal, and could deal similair blows to stone without much damage. However, such a blow would dull the softer but thicker blade.

A Japanese sword parrying another Katana would normally cause the blade to bounce; A heavy Broadsword against a light Orient very occasionally would cause one to be damaged- either the weight of the European to heavily nock the edge of the Japanese sword or occasionally cause it to break, or the Katana to slice the end of the softer weapon clean off* or the katana to cause a bit of cutting damage to the blade of the Broadsword. A Broadsword against another Euro would cause a proper parry, a breakage (less often than in films) or at least a nock or a slight dulling.

The European sword hilt and pommel were normally made out of the same piece of metal. Not all of them were a bit of steel with a golden hand-guard. Those that were were made to fit inside the pommel and hilt, or were welded on/over afterwards.

The Japanese hand guard was an entirely different piece of metal, normally incredibly ornate. The hilt and sword were the same piece of metal, covered heavily with wood and such to prevent the wielder dropping his sword (read: losing his fingers.)The length of the hilt varied on the area and Political situation. In times of war, it was longer and easier to draw.

* Peregrine's writeup, below, says that they were not this sharp; indeed, he's right, but I'm not sure of anything that's got about the same edge as a Katana except another Katana.