Hellboy is neither a boy, nor is he in Hell. (though he might be from around those parts, no one is really sure including himself...) He isn't exactly a demon, either, though he is very large and very red.

Hellboy is a character. He's the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with after work. Hellboy can get away like no one else with shouting things like "Big talk for a guy with no pants!" while battling zombies or vampires...

At some undocumented point in Hellboy's early life, someone either sawed off the two large horns from his forehead, or he snapped them off himself. Little matter, for now he has two strange looking discs protruding from his skull. He does manage to stay hip with a little black goatee, however.

To cover up his strange looks while walking the streets of New York City or even Baltimore, Hellboy wears a BPRD (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense) issue trenchcoat, but he often forgets to button it, or his tail hangs out. ( and he never bothers to find shoes that fit his tiny goat feet... )

Oh, did I mention Hellboy's right arm is made of stone and rumored to be the key to the apocalypse? Its really not that important mostly, but it sure is good for clobbering the drooling undead!

( In all seriousness, I usually laugh until I bust a gut when I read a new issue of Hellboy by Mike Mignola - check it out! )