Sir Norris decides to stop smoking.

Day one - Day two - Day three - Day four

Mon Oct 10 2005 at 02:07 PM

The last time I daylogged was July 19, 2005. I wanted to become healthy; yet the one biggest change I could make to my life to improve my health is to give up smoking. Yet I didn't want to do it? Why? Who knows. Who knows why people don't want to give up - because I'm addicted? Possibly. Who cares, actually. The reason why I do it is not important right now. What is important is that finally, after more than ten years of smoking every single day is that I'm ready to give up.

Now I don't really know what expect because I've never tried before - I've never wanted to before. All I know is that I have to make a time to stop completely. That time will be soon because I have about enough tobacco left for two more cigarettes and I'm going to go and smoke the first of that final pair as soon as I've written this.

Mon Oct 10 2005 at 3:12 PM

Right. One final cigarette down, one (or possibly two skinny ones) to go. So I need a plan of action. I can't do things on the spur of the moment I need some sort of a structure to work to. I need backup as well - so I'm getting chewing gum and big packets of sweets and other things. I'm gonna start doing health freak-type things like running to take my mind of wanting a fag. I may even get some nicotine-replacement like patches or something. In fact, I'm gonna go and see the colege nurse and see what she's got.

Mon Oct 10 2005 at 4:10 PM

So I had my final, final cigarette and I went to see the nurse. She asked me questions about how many I smoke and when I smoke and gave me information about the nicotine-replacement stuff. The choice is either patches, lozenges, chewing gum, nazal sprays or inhalers. They're all available on prescripton (in two-week blocks) so that'll only cost me £6.50, or something. I'm not sure though; I really think I want to do it cold turkey - although I don't know what the cravings are going to feel like yet, so i may change my mind.

Anyway, I feel a bit better now I've spoken to someone about it. I don't want my firends and the people I work with to know because they'll just bring it up all the time, but I suppose I need someone to know. Hence daylogging it all, I suppose. The nurse has said I have to come and see her tomorrow morning to tell her if I have smoked or not - and if I don't go and see her she'll come and find me.

Oh, Christ, what have I done? Wish me luck, people :)

Day one - Day two - Day three - Day four