In November, Colorado and Washington passed laws to end the statewide prohibition of marijuana. Many counties in the state of Washington have dropped all pending charges on possession of small amounts held by adults, and in Colorado, Boulder County and the city of Aurora, all pending charges have been dropped as well, with other counties saying they will follow when the law goes in effect July 1, 2013. The District Attorney in Boulder County is working under the premise it is his obligation not to file charges if he is under the impression it is impossible to convict the person if they went to trial. Now many cities in Michigan as well as in the states of Massachusetts, Vermont and at least two other states have initiated measures to stop the prohibition as well.

The road to freeing a safe yet psychoactive plant from the tyranny of prohibition has been one that is tedious but spiritually rejuvenating. We have had many false milestones along the way like what is occurring between the state and federal governments, however the current pace and direction towards the proper heading is of great joy.

To my knowledge, the city of Denver and Breckenridge are the only places in Colorado that have already passed laws allowing possession under an ounce of marijuana by someone 21 years of age. It is not to my knowledge whether Boulder County or if Jefferson County has any law of that nature. In other words, society as a whole has taken a giant step forward, and we are now closer to ending the violence caused in the name of prohibition.

This movement started approximately 20 years ago with the decriminalizing, and reduction to the mandatory sentencing for anyone convicted of possession under an ounce. This reduced the burden to the court system and slowed the over-crowding in jails. Even with the laws how they are now, the prison system is still over its capacity, because we incarcerate non-violent stoners picked up for small amounts of marijuana and paraphernalia, and it is worse in the states that still adhere to the strict zero tolerance policy of yesteryear. This was the first step in the right direction, but very little was accomplished for the rights of the individual and the people became entrenched in an epic political battle.

About 10 years ago, the people voted to allow marijuana medicinally, this has happened 17 times over throughout the country with many prospect sates. This produced talk from the DEA, the agency in charge of the controlled substances list, about reducing the severity in the classification of marijuana as dictated by the Controlled substance act of 1970. A change has not been made. As it stands now, marijuana is to have the same medicinal value as mescaline --a hallucinogenic drug derived from peyote--, LSD or psilocybin and is said to be as addictive as heroin. This is a gross misrepresentation of the facts, because marijuana is safer and has a greater medical value than cocaine, amphetamines and oxycodone all of which are on tier two and less regulated than the previous class.

Marinol, a synthetic analog of the THC molecule is schedule three along with steroids, GHB and ketamine all of which prescribed via written or oral orders. Pharmaceutical companies can produce a FDA approved THC substitute in a pill that is legal to a certain degree, but a flower that can grow anywhere is illegal with mandatory sentencing? Take another step you have Benzodiazepines and barbiturates, two highly misused drugs that cause physiological and psychological dependence, and the last step in classification incorporates the over the counter cough syrups and decongestants.

Benadryl and Robitussin are not regulated and you do not need a prescription are quite frequently abused for their hallucinogenic properties yet cannabinoids are still safer according to current studies. Therefore, I cannot see why marijuana is on the other end of the spectrum, and we can continuously justify arresting people and jeopardizing their futures for consuming something safer than aspirin. This is why I think the battle against marijuana has its roots in racial matters. It had its racial overtones since the beginning when they deported Mexicans, and targeted people of African descent in the propaganda. This is why still today disproportionate amounts of the arrests made are Hispanics and African Americans.

Against what propaganda introduced in the ‘30’s says, marijuana does not have a direct link to schizophrenia, and unlike alcohol, it does not produce a statically high rate of violence. Many of the Adults who smoke marijuana are high functioning members of society, and its negative impact is in large part due to its illegality and this engenders disrespect for the law. Laws are meant to protect not endanger, and when a law does more harm than good it should be repelled.

It is commonly accepted at large through scientific and anecdotal evidence, we have debunked all the marijuana myths. All accept for one and the FDA has been very diligent about not allowing many scientific studies, so it has yet to be determined if marijuana can cause schizophrenia. A study coming from the United Kingdom could not find proof of this link, but stated the areas affected are vital for memory and decision-making and both areas are also involved in schizophrenia. However, the DEA has pressured the FDA into helping keep marijuana illegal by preventing research, and I think large government agencies shouldn’t be able to manipulate and regulate the law, especially if it is based on corrupt ideology. The DEA is unwilling to change the classification though because although there is plenty of proof refuting the idea of marijuana as a gateway drug, people still fear the potential outcome.

However, many counties within a legalized state can hold strong to the federal law, the Attorney General could review each potential case individually trying the defendant under federal law, and the Supreme Court has recently set a precedent siding with local law enforcement after citing and arresting a citizen under federal law for possession. People are signing petitions to fight this stance and new bills have been constructed, but it doesn’t seem to matter what laws are passed, the battle over pot is still in full force. The federal government continues to wage war with a deaf ear to the countless pleas and demands to cease and desist. It is the innocent victims of the relatives and friends of those who have died from the results in a senseless search and seizures for a harmless herb, along with the kids in our country that are going hungry from the misspent tax dollars that pay the ultimate price.

The people's voice (vox populi) may go unheard in Colorado and in Washington and all over this country due to the Moralists; state sovereignty should not give way to current oppressive and antiquated laws. The federal government needs to allow the people to govern themselves as represented in the 10th Amendment, and give the power back to the individual state and person. Allow the people to have a choice over what they put in their own bodies and do not dictate matters in a victimless situation; or this is just another meaningless victory and law for the books, and yet more evidence of the failure to provide proper representation in this democracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/health/21marijuana.html

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2012/cannabis-may-cause-schizophrenia-like-brain-changes/