The Guatemalan version of the "La Llorona" tale varies little from the previous already written.

In times when Spaniard colonies were established all around the country, there was this beautiful woman, married to a wealthy landlord. Their life seemed oh so happy, but in fact, the landlord had numerous business matters to attend out of town, so he had to travel frequently, leaving his wife bored and all by herself. This of course was something an "adventurous" gentleman (if he could be called so), decided to take advantage of.

He began paying visits to the lady when her husband was away, offering companionship in those lonely days. He brought her gifts, flowers, things that made her feel special, that would make him earn her trust.

Time passed by and the lady found more than a friend in the kind "gentleman". Rumors began to spread about the affair, but the landlord never got to know about them, wether because he wasn't in town long enough to be told, or because people would just kept their peace when he was around.

Nevertheless, the rumors didn't stop the lady and the "gentleman" from meeting whenever possible. However, one day she found out something went wrong: pregnancy. The next time she met with her lover, she told him about the matter, and as soon the last words came out of her mouth, the so called gentleman left the premises as quickly as he could. No goodbyes, no excuses, no answers. From that day, nothing could be known about the escapee.

The lady was distraught. What would she tell her husband? What would be of her? She decided to hide the evidence as long as possible. It wouldn't be difficult. She would wear loose clothing whenever her husband was in town.

Time went by, and it was getting more and more difficult to hide her state. Anyone but her husband had noticed there was something strange with how she dressed and her behavior, but he was too busy with his business to even get a clue.

One night, it happened. After nine months of hiding the product of her sin, it would finally come to this world, and it had to be the at the worst time. The landlord would be back in town by morning. The lady felt reliefed for a brief moment, but when she remembered where it came from, what would be of her if everything was revealed, she panicked. Desperately, she went to the nearest river, holding in her arms what would be the source of her damnation.

She walked into the water until it was waist deep and slowly submerged and let go what she kept in her arms, hoping it would be the answer to her dilemma.

At morning, when the landlord returned home, he couldn't find his wife. He asked around town, but the inital answer he got was that she was seen going for the river the previous night. He went to the river, but there was no sign of her. As he returned to town, he finally knew what had been happening when he was away, and thought she had eloped, right after giving birth to her lover's child.

The landlord got married again after some time, but he was careful enough not to leave his new wife alone as frequently as he did with the previous, who found her end at the river. Killing her offspring caused the Wrath of the Divine, and she was condemned to look for her child, the life she gave and took the same night. She wanders towns and stays near fountains, rivers, and water sources, looking for children, taking them away from their parents. They say she yells in an eerie and desperate cry: "Ay, mi hijo!" (Oh, my child!). The farther the cry is heard from, the closer she is, and when the nearest the cry, the farther she is.