customs officer: - Do you have anything to declare, sir?
Avi: - Yeah. Don't go to England.


Introduction:

Snatch is British director Guy Ritchie's second movie. He started his climb to fame after Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, his first movie was released. Him marrying Madonna (yes the singing-chick) might also have something to do with his fame.

In Snatch, Ritchie basically makes a sequel to lock stock, but shows that he has learnt a lot from making that.

Snatch adds Brad Pitt in an absolutely hillarious role as a "pikey" (cockney slang for gypsy). This, along with a great lineup of absolutely brilliant, vibrant characters, and an intricate, complex Pulp Fiction-esque plot makes this a movie well worth watching.


Brick Top Polford:
- In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again.


 

Stats:

Written and directed by Guy Ritchie

Released in 2001

Cast (most famous only):


Doug is a dodgy diamond dealer who thinks he's jewish.
He even tells his family they are jewish.
Of course, he is not jewish.


Plot synopsis:

Brick top is a promoter for illegal boxing. He rents boxers, and pays them to go down in round X, making a load of money for Brick Top's friends.

In a rather infortunate turn of events, one of the boxers get knocked into the hospital by Mickey (Brad Pitt), and the promoters have to find a replacement. They choose Mickey to do the fight, but will he go down when he is told?

While all of this happens, a giant diamond heist is pulled off, and the ones in charge get mixed up in the boxing affair.

While all of this is going on, Bullet-tooth tony (Vinnie Jones) and Boris "Bulletdodger" , a crazy-ass russian weapons dealer have their own interests in diamonds and boxing.


Tony: How do you wanna get rid of him. Do you wanna shoot him?
Avi: A bit noisy, isn't it?
Tony: Do you wanna stab him?
Avi: That's a little cold-blooded, don't you think?
Tony: Do you wanna kill him, or not?


Awards

Nominations:

 

More about the movie

It's got groovie music.
It's got cool lines.
It's got british accents.
It's got car chases.
It's got crazy russians.
It's got guns.

... Go see it!

Guy Ritchie about the movie:

- The film is about a load of big, large characters, sort of cartoon like.
- These films are about fast-take. Moving quick. No fat anywhere.
- There was lots of stuff that didn't fit into Lock Stock, and I decided to put a lot of it into Snatch instead. I think it worked out pretty well!

Brad Pitt about being in this movie:

- I actually called up Guy and asked if he had any plans for any future movies.

Guy Ritchie about Brad Pitt:

- When he called, we thought "fuck, there is nothing in there for him". But this is Brad Pitt, and he wants to work with us. So we decided to try him as Mickey.
- We had to be careful about - I mean - here we get a big shot US actor, and he plays in a small British films. It shouldn't look like we were just trying to put bums on seats. Of course, that is the case, but it shouldn't look like that!
- He did a very good job with the accent. The whole thing is; You can't understand (the pikeys), and he managed that pretty well.

-30-