A Black box is a small device that is built into an airplane, to improve air security, by recording important data about the airplane.

Also called: Flight Recorder or CSMU (Crash-Survivable Memory Unit)

What it looks like

A black box is not black at all- it is bright neon orange, so it can be found more easily by divers and other investigators digging through the wreckage.

It is basically a square-shaped, shock resistant, Fire resistant, water proof, Pressure resistant box. It is by no means indestructible (nothing is), but putting a dent in a black box is not easy. Besides - it is placed in or near the tail of the plane (at least in commercial airliners, chances of it breaking are limited.

Why it is called a black box

The black boxes might have been black once, but the most likely reason for the box being called black is that it is usually charred after the fire that accompanies most crashes

How it is built

(from outside to inside)

  1. The black box
  2. The memory / tape banks:
    1. Shell - Titanium / Stainless steel - waterproof, shockproof, withstanding extreme heat. About 0.3 inches (0,76 cm) thick
    2. Temperature Shield - Dry-silica material. About 1.1 inch (3 cm) thick - protects the recorders from heat after the crash
    3. Aluminium housing - Another layer to make sure that the package stays water-proof.

Another part of the box is a small beacon activated if it comes in contact with water. The beacon sends out ultrasonic waves that can be traced with a sonar

What it is used for

The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and their counterparts in non-US countries use the Black Box to try to determine the reason for planes crashing. Even though each of those boxes cost between $10,000 and $20,000 each, they have led to reasons being found for many airline crashes that otherwise would have been unsolved

What it records

Most Black Boxes contain two elements: an FDR (Flight Data Recorder) and a CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder).

How it records it

Most black boxes still use magnetic tape (sorta like you find in VCRs and Music Cassettes), but more and more of them are using solid state memory (i.e Flash Memory or the like), because it is more resistent to heat, and because they have no movable parts. Another advantage of solid state memory is that it can track up to 700 different data flows, while the tape version only can hold about 150.

The black boxes aren't replaced every flight- The tape versions store about 30 minutes of audio data, and the tape goes in a loop, so the oldest data is overwritten. The same goes for the flight data, but usually, between one and four hours of data is kept. Solid-state memory versions do the same thing, but can store more information (about 2 hrs of audio and 25 hours of flight data)

The data is gathered from the sensors that are all around the airplane, plus a bunch of microphones in the cockpit

How the data is extracted

There is a port on the Black box which looks remarkably much like a parallel port. From this port, a handheld data extraction device can read the data directly from the box. If this port has been damaged (happens quite often), the whole box has to be (partially) disassembled. If all data connectors are busted, the whole box must be taken apart, and the data must be read directly from the memory.

History

The idea of a black box has been with us since the birth of Aviation. The Wright brothers (who were the first to fly a plane for more than a minute) used a device that recorded propeller rotations, to analyze how to improve their plane.

The use of black boxes became normal shortly after the Second World War ended.

source: L3 aviation recorders (http://www.l-3ar.com/)

-30-