When Doki Doki Panic was rejiggered into Super Mario Brothers 2 for the American and European markets it underwent a number of changes besides the addition of Mario and friends. There are a number of obvious changes, such as a new title screen and character select screen, but quite a few minor aspects of the game were tweaked.

Here's how the main characters were replaced with the Mushroom Kingdom crew...

  • The average brother turned into Mario.
  • The high-jumping mother turned into Luigi.
  • The fast-running father turned into Toad.
  • The float-jumping sister turned into Princess Toadstool.

And here's the other minor tweaks...

  • Doki Doki Panic included the ability to save game progress. Super Mario Brothers 2 does not.
  • The grass that indicates a vegetable can be plucked from the ground changed from black to red in color.
  • The magic potion that creates a door into SubSpace used to be a magic lamp.
  • In SubSpace the mushrooms had been hearts.
  • 1-up mushrooms are not mushrooms in Doki Doki Panic but are instead icons of the current character's face.
  • The turtle shell that slides along the ground had been a disembodied head in blackface.
  • The hawk mouth gate used to be a tribal mask.
  • Explosions are indicated by a large "BOMB" effect in Super Mario Brothers 2, whereas the original game spelled the effect as "BOM"
  • Phanto, the guardian of the key, received a facelift to make him look more menacing. Also, the effect of him activating was not present originally.
  • Mushroom Blocks had been unusual heads (to go along with the head the turtle shell had been).
  • The vegetables in World 7 were redrawn.
  • A new boss, Clawgrip, replaced a third appearance of Mouser.
  • The following items received some animation: cherries, POW blocks, vines, grass, crystal balls, bomb fuses, water, and spikes.
  • The following sound effects were changed: 1-up mushroom being plucked, enemies being lifted and thrown, Birdo being injured, rockets blasing off, POW blocks activating, cherries being collected, doors being opened, magic potions being thrown, hawk gate opening, playable characters make noise when injured, Starman music, SubSpace music, whale waterspouts, and stopwatch ticks.
  • Characters did not shrink when their life meter reached one unit remaining.
  • The "Hold B-button to run" maneuver was not present in the original game.
  • The slot machine bonus round went from a plain green screen to a recreation of the game's title screen.


References:
http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb2_ddp.shtml