Pierre Curie, born on 15 May 1859 in Paris, France, and was educated with his brother at home by his parents. He then studied physics at the Sorbonne. Pierre discovered that exerting pressure on quartz crystals could produce an electric current. Curies Law is named after his later discovery about the relationship between magnetism and temperature.

Marie Curie, born Manya Sklodowska in Warsaw, Poland on 7 November 1867. French physicist and twice Nobel Prize winner. She was best known for her work on radioactivity with her husband Pierre.

Marie’s father was an ardent Polish nationalist who taught mathematics and physics at a secondary school. She had a sister; Bronia. During her schooling she won a gold medal of excellence and graduated from high school at the age of 15. Because of a poor family she went to work as a Governess at 17. In 1891 Marie travelled to Paris with her sister and registered at Sorbonne, in the University of Paris to study Maths and Physics, earning degrees in both. Her name was then changed to Marie. Within two years she completed the masters exam in physics and scored the highest in the class.

Three years after Marie arrived in Paris, she met Pierre the physicist, her husband to be. Within a year they married and moved into an apartment near where they shared a laboratory. After the discovery of X-rays and the emission of novel radiations from Uranium they concentrated on whether there were any other elements that produced these rays.

Her first daughter, Irene, was born in 1897. By 1898 using a device invented by Pierre, she discovered that Pitchblende – an ore containing uranium – was far more radioactive than the uranium inside it was.

Over the next few years Marie and Pierre made several important discoveries. They were first to prove that the atoms of some elements are continually breaking down and give off radiations that pass through many other materials. The Curies called these radioactive. The next discovery was the hidden elements in Pitchblende - Polonium and Radium, a glowing element which they finally isolated in 1902. In 1903 the Curies were jointly awarded with Antoine Becquerel the Nobel Prize in Physics for their discovery of radioactive elements.

Pierre was killed in 1906 in a road accident. Marie then took over his job and became the first female to teach at Sorbonne. She continued her work and introduced the terms “disintegration” and “transmutation” into physics. 1911 came and she won the Nobel Prize for chemistry and was the first person to win two prizes in science.

During world war one Madam Curie had an active role in the use of radiation for medical purposes. She used her fame to promote the medical uses of radium by helping the foundation of radium therapy institutes.

While working on the isolation of a new element her health deteriorated. She had several cataract operations. As a consequence of Marie's exposure to massive doses of radiation for a long period of time, she died of aplastic anaemia in an alpine sanatorium.