The following is actually a pair of recipes, taken from a cookbook, "Keo's Thai Cuisine", and modified to work a bit better together. I'm writing this after the first time trying these together, and they were oh-so-yummy!

Thai Shrimp with Garlic

1/4 c vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 c coconut milk
1/4 c straw or fresh mushrooms (I recommend more, 1/4 cup is not that much)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 to 2 tsp fish sauce (to taste)

Heat the oil in a wok. Add garlic, and stir-fry until golden brown. Add the rest of the ingredients, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the shrimp is done. (If using pre-cooked shrimp, cook about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender) Cover and set aside if making the noodles.

Optionally, the shrimp may be served on a platter, on about 3 cups of chopped cabbage.

Fried Noodles

3 oz rice noodles
1/4 c vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 shallots, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 to 3 tbsp fish sauce (to taste)
1 oz chives, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 oz bean sprouts
1/4 tsp ground dried chile peppers (optional)

Soak the rice noodles in warm water for about fifteen minutes, then drain. In a wok, add the oil, heat, add the garlic and shallots, and stir-fry until golden brown. Add the onion and egg, and stir-fry for a minute. Reduce the heat to medium, and stir in the rice noodles, fish sauce, chives, and ground chile peppers. Mix in the bean sprouts, and cook for 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.

The noodles may also be made with 1/4 lb shrimp added when the onion and egg are added, though I did like the spicier shrimp listed above.


Go To: Recipes from P to T
Go To: Southeast Asian recipes