Being nearly done with Paradise Lost (book XI out of XII, the second edition (?) way of dividing the books), I must say I find Christ nearly as interesting a character as Satan, if not more so. Christ is the noble one, the might King of Kings, who sacrifices himself for the poor and weak humans, giving up his throne to become, for our salvation, one of us. However, Satan has two advantages as a literary character that Christ does not. The first, less important one, is that he gets much more screen time. He gets a lot more time to present his side of the case. And he is quite the character, with his noble, never-give-up fight for a lost cause. The other advantage Satan has over Christ is novelty. Satan is a new character. The noble rebel against God is a much newer idea than the humble servant who submits himself to God's will. Christ is fascinating, but the idea of him has been beaten into our culture for over 2000 years and beyond. The god who gives his life for our salvation is an old, old idea. Osiris and Mithras did it long before Christ, and since Christ it has been the central mythos of Western culture. Satan gets our attention more than Christ by his pure newness. We see him and say, "whoa, cool idea." We see Christ and say "Been there, done that." In the end, it is Satan, and not Christ, who holds our attention.

In closing, I think it would be amazing to see a rewritten Paradise Lost, done by a modern author with Milton's literary and poetic gift. It would be cool to see a more balanced version, playing heavily on the contrast between the two characters. Both have their amazing strengths, but Milton's cultural background and literary focus on the Fall of Man prevented him from letting Christ come into full bloom as the antithesis of Satan. A more balanced work, allowing both characters to argue, through both words and actions, their respective positions of humility and determination could be one of the greatest pieces of writing of all time.