A couple of notes to your otherwise excellent article on punctuation:

  • Apostrophes are never used to indicate plurals. In your example of Officers' Club, for instance, Officers' is actually a possessive, and the phrase means "Club of (or for) officers," with no apostrophe on the plural. "Customers' requirements" similarly means "requirements of customers." Use of an apostrophe is permitted in odd cases where there is a need to set of the "s" of the plural form, such as "mind your p's and q's."
  • I personally use the dash (instead of what we in America refer to as parentheses, such as the marks that enclose this phrase) in cases where I want to set off the enclosed material with a little more emphasis. For example: "I'll show up only if--God forbid!--the tumor is cancerous." versus "I'll show up only if (God forbid!) the tumor is cancerous."
  • The three dots (...) are referred to as an ellipsis if they are used in place of material that has been omitted.
  • I personally think the comma is an underused mark. It is fashionable these days to omit them in many cases, but I prefer to use them whenever they would indicate a slight pause in speech, as this is their primary function.