Yep, the glaciers are retreating, Global warming and all that. The part that I find amusingly ironic is the rarely considered alternative to retreat, advance. A lot of good research material suggests that the earth should be in the entrance stages to another ice age, and that the only thing preventing this is the global warming created by industrial emissions. I will be the first to agree that pollution and the greenhouse effect is bad, but let's consider the alternative for a moment. How conveinent would it be to have a mile thick sheet of glacial ice slowly moving south through Canada and into Wyoming? Unfortunately, the way we're going isn't really any better. Even if we were able to convince a quarter of a billion Americans to stop driving their automobiles, the problem wouldn't be half solved. Rampant disregard for environmental controls in emerging industrialized countries eager to suckle from the wealthy teat of profit hungry American corporations would easily cause the same problem on their own. So where does that leave us? Too much pollution and the coasts may rise by 30 feet or more. Too little pollution and we run the chance of kick starting aother Ice Age. Balance is important in any dealing with nature, but I believe she dislike stasis as much as a void. Maybe Snake Plissken had the right idea after all.