Babylon 5 Season 2, Episode 9. Written by J. Michael Straczynski, directed by Janet Greek. Originally aired on February 1, 1995. Winner of the 1996 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation.

Primary Plot: The dying Centauri Emperor decides to visit B5 and apologize to G'Kar for what the Centauri did to the Narn. Not knowing this, G'Kar plots to assassinate the Emperor. Also, Londo and Lord Refa prepare to embarass the Emperor to further their own political careers.

Secondary Plot: War breaks out between the Centauri Republic and the Narn Regime.

Tertiary Plot: Garibaldi is stalked by a Ranger.

Commentary: A GREAT episode, probably my overall favorite. Establishes that Londo's new ruthless streak is not to be taken lightly, and also that G'Kar may not be past redemption. Turhan Bey gives a first rate performance as the Centauri Emperor--you can truly feel the pain and misery he must be feeling just by glancing in his eyes. A lot of the cast members were reportedly annoyed that Bey's character died, because they were looking forward to working with him again.

Also worth noting, as always, is the terrific interaction between Londo and G'Kar. The scene where G'Kar offers Londo a drink--not knowing that the Centauri Republic has just launched a full-scale assault on his people--is absolutely fabulous. Peter Jurasik repeatedly impresses with the ability to just become Londo in any big scene. This is, of course, Londo's first failed chance for redemption--even Vir tries to talk him out of following his current path, but he won't listen.

The return of Michael O'Hare in a small cameo spot was a nice surprise, and it certainly added to the feeling of watching a truly special episode. He returns again in War Without End, Part One and War Without End, Part Two.


Return to the Babylon 5 Episode Guide.