Post-Halloween we had a few pumpkins lying around the house. I thought to myself, “Self, what do you think of making a pumpkin pie from scratch?” To which I responded, “Gee, that’s a spiff-o-riffic idea, let’s get started.”

Never having made a pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin, I consulted Betty on the proper way to do so. Betty of course, is our cookbook. She’s nearly 45 years old, so she hasn’t been infected with any of Martha Stewart’s mind controlling elixirs of death. To my dismay, Betty could only provide a recipe stunningly similar to the one at the apex of this node!

Canned Pumpkin!?!?

While I realized that un-processed food has become a concept that is decidedly un-American, I sometimes feel it is necessary to defy the precepts of patriotism for the over-all good of the universe. With this in mind, I decided I would just have to figure out how to render a pumpkin down to its constituent mush without any help from the cooking gods.

After briefly consulting Betty on techniques for cooking other squash-like items, I took my trusty Big Pointy Knife (a must in every kitchen) in hand and set to chopping the pumpkin into little strips. In case you are wondering, this is very therapeutic if done in a maniacal fashion while singing “I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay.” I then removed the orange rind and the stringy, squishy, seedy part from the pumpkin sections so that I was left with slices of the firm fleshy intermediate portion.

mmmm....fleshy...

These sections I put into a 13x9x2 pan and smothered in melted butter and brown sugar. I added an inch of water to the pan, covered it with foil and baked it till the sections were very soft. (temp: approximately 350 F, time: approximately 1 hour).

After the pumpkin bits were all squishy, I drained the water and put them in a bowl. Creeping up ever so slowly so as not to frighten them, I ambushed the bits with a potato masher and turned them into mush (this was the second-most-fun part). I then drained more water out of this mush, and used it in the recipe in place of canned pumpkin in the proscribed amounts.

My roommate called the resulting pie “the best pumpkin pie (she) had ever had in (her) entire life. My friend just said it was good.

And that friends, is how I defeated the evil factions of pre-processed pumpkin mush, and saved my household from having one too many pumpkins and not enough pie.