Mr. Blackwell publishes an annual list
of what he calls, "The worst dressed women
of the year". The list contains celebrities
that he considers fashion-challenged
. Mr. Blackwell tends to be rather brusque
with his commentary
. He is fashion's self-appointed critic
For the year 2000:
- Britney Spears: "Oops, she did it again! Her bra-topped collection of Madonna rejects are pure fashion overkill."
- Angelina Jolie: "Fashion interrupted. Hit by a Gen-X gothic hex!"
- Bjork: "She dances in the dark - and dresses there too."
- Madonna: "From ghetto glam to Rhinestone Cowgirl to Mrs. Guy Ritchie, any way you label it, she's still just kitschy, kitschy, kitschy!"
- Elizabeth Hurley: "Poor Liz. Her barely there fashion bombs have hit a sour note. A word of advice: Buy a coat!"
- Christina Aguilera: "Is she a boring and body-baring bungle or just auditioning for Sheena, Queen of the Jungle?"
- Dr. Laura Schlessinger: "When it comes down to fashion horror, no one does it better than Dr. Laura."
- Courtney Love: "When push comes to shove, no one's fashion is tackier and wackier than punky, funky Love!"
- Mariah Carey: "Her X-rated baby doll disasters are laughably low-rent. Who's her designer? Larry Flynt?"
- Katherine Harris: "The pretty, brassy lassie from Tallahassee needs cosmetic direction. Her paint-by-numbers makeup screams out for discretion! A recount please!"
As you can see, he's crude and obnoxious. I always thought someone should place him on a list of folks who wanted to be a fashion designer but lacked the talent, including social skills, so they became a critic. Mr. Blackwell is always seen in a black tuxedo, and always appears holier-than-thou when interviewed.