THE END OF THE FRIGGIN' WORLD!

Well, maybe not.

Theoretically, the Mayan calendar ends in December 2012. For some ungodly reason (pun intended), some people took this to mean the END OF THE FRIGGIN' WORLD! It makes as much sense as my current Playboy calendar denoting the end of the universe...every year. What happens after the calendar runs out of days? Why, you cut out all the hot pictures, put them in an album or put them up in the garage, then go out and buy the next year's edition. Maybe it is the end of the world if your wife finds it, but otherwise it's the end of a cycle.

One of the interesting things is that the planets will be lined up. Disaster upon disaster! The end is nigh! Oh, yeah, except it happens every 23K years or so. Ho, hum.

But wait... supposedly the Sun will pass through the galactic equator. Oops...that actually takes place for decades at a time. Oh, and it's an arbitrary thing that has no real meaning. Galactic stuff moves in a different time scale. Trust me, I paid for a movie ticket and sat through Big Trouble in Little China, so I know.

It now appears a Dutch team has re-calculated the calendar, and the end of the cycle is in 2200, not 2012. But since when does that matter to Hollywood? It doesn't! So Yes, there is a disaster flick called 2012, and it has so many disasters it turns into a comedy. Morwen likens it to Populous: The Movie. Personally, I'd much prefer to watch Morwen's other disaster movie: Volcano Full of Starving Bears. It makes Snakes on a Plane seem like Snakes on a Plane, except good.