A wonderful book by Edith Wharton (1905).

The story is of Lily Bart, a 29 year old woman who is living in the gilded age in New York. She is in high society, is obssesd with money and material things, and doesn't know what she wants. She controls people and feels the strength of her triumph over anything that gets in her way.

At the age of 29 Lily lives with an aunt who offers minimum, often grudging, hospitality and financial support. A wealthy husband could satisfy her craving for luxury and admiration. Lily could have any man she wanted because of her immense beauty and charm, but Lily is reluctant to consummate this kind of "deal."

In a chronicle that richly details the follies of shallowness, and cruelties of society as it illuminates Lily's own ambivalence about who and what she wants, Wharton traces her heroine's decline from her elite position as a much-desired guest in exclusive social events, to her role as a liaison between rich "outsiders" eager to be accepted in society but ignorant of its ways, to her piteous existence when the homes of both old and new society are firmly, finally, closed to her.

On one level a devastating satire of a world devoid of moral scruples, The House of Mirth is also a stringent critique of the particular restrictions and limitations such a world imposes on women. Lily is a woman not only of charm, but of intelligence; her outward beauty matched by a genuine, if undeveloped, appreciation of art and of nature's beauty. By succumbing to society's definition of her as a beautiful object and nothing more, however, Lily in many ways authors her own fate.

Her relationship with Mr. Selden is the main focus but other character include the very wealthy Mr. Rosedale. Both are somewhat after her and she is somewhat after them.


The House of Mirth was made into a movie in 2000, starring Gillian Anderson as Lily.

Thanks to http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides/house_of_mirth.html