You all are going to love this. Here is an actual listing of what, when, and why the first drug laws were implemented, in case you didn't know. Keep in mind, none of these decisions have been repealed OR re-evaluated--we're still doing this for these same reasons, if you believe Uncle Sam.

By the way, I got this information from www.druglibrary.org, and cross-checked it with other sites, such as www.drugsense.org and with the Library of Congress.

Opium was the first drug outlawed in America. This was San Francisco, 1875. The drug wasn't really regulated or even illegal to have (laudanum, a common painkiller at the time, was made from opium). The act of smoking opium was what was outlawed, and here's why: The government was legally targeting the Chinese, figuring that opium-smoking was mainly a Chinese thing. How did they explain this law? By saying that the Chinamen were using opium to lure white women to their ruin. ("Ruin" meant fucking a Chinaman, by the way.)

In the early 1900's, cocaine use was outlawed because of the fear that the "Negro Cocaine Fiends" or "Cocainized Niggers" (these are supposedly quotes from scientific journals at the time) were going to run madly around and--you guessed it--rape white women. There is no evidence that any cracked-up black guys actually did this; of course, they would have been lynched if they did anyway. Interesting sidenote: About this time, American lawmakers switched from .32 to .38 caliber weapons, because they believed that the almighty Cocainized Niggers couldn't be stopped by a regular gun. Amazing what simple penis-envy will do to a governing body, isn't it?

But unfortunately, I'm not done. Before I get to the rest of the drugs, I should mention something else I've found on these kick-ass websites. The original laws were not, in appearance, laws forbidding drug use or possession--they were put forward as simple licensing laws, stating that you had to have a license to sell these drugs, or you got arrested. There is much speculation that most of the U.S. Congress at the time would not have passed these laws if they knew that they would end up being prohibitive. It was stupid at the time, when we still believed in the Constitution, to prohibit someone from putting something in their body. These first laws amounted to bureaucrats convincing the government that it really was a tax violation they were talking about; the penalty for not having your license or paying whatever taxes there were on drugs was heavy. Of course, did they ever issue the licenses? Um, no. Not ever.

Anyway, on to what we all wanted to hear from the beginning: How in the hell did they originally outlaw something as generally harmless as pot? Well, according to a congressional testimony by Bureau of Narcotics Commissioner Harry J. Anslinger in 1937 (during a hearing on the "Marijuana Tax Law" that was being proposed), marijuana had a violent "effect on the degenerate races". This incredibly stupid claim, which still stands on our records, was an effort by the government to repress the Mexican workers who came here after the Depression, seeking jobs. Wow, we're nice to our guests. We arrest them for their recreations AND publicly call them "degenerate races". (Oh, by the way, the "violent effects" of course included an uncontrollable, unstoppable urge to--yup--rape white women.)
By the way, the American Medical Association stood against the Marijuana ban from the beginning, but when Congress asked the people pushing the bill what the AMA said, they flat-out lied, on the record, at a congressional hearing, and said they had the AMA's approval. The AMA later notified congress with a formal objection...but the law was, of course, never repealed.

In short, I feel that the best summary of these info-bits should be directly quoted from druglibrary.org; one of the places I got most of these disgusting facts from. And the quote is: "There never was any scholarly evidence that the laws were necessary, or even beneficial, to public health and safety and none was presented when the laws were passed."

Ha.