I recently discovered something interesting about the common gecko. That is, I guess we've finally discovered how geckoes stick to walls.

In case you didn't know, the common gecko can walk up walls and across ceilings, even if they're made of glass (the walls, not the geckoes). In fact, science hasn't yet been able to create a surface that a gecko can't stick to; they can even stick to molecularly smooth surfaces.

I, like most people I think, always figured they had suction cups for feet or that they excreted some sort of goo, but apparently neither is true. Turns out their feet are incredibly smooth, being covered by several layers of increasingly fine hairs. Their ultra-smooth feet mean that, when they touch something, they're able to put more of the molecules in their feet actually ON the surface than is strictly normal. And molecules, as every ameteur physicist knows, generate a charge when they touch, similar to a magnetic field, that sticks them together.

Why don't we stick to things we touch, you might ask? Because apparently, the human fingertip looks like a mountain range when viewed at a molecular level. So we only actually "touch" things with the tips of those mountains--not enough to generate a significant charge.

But think about it...what if we were to develop very smooth shoes? You'd think it was possible, if the scientists have already made a molecularly smooth surface to try to make a gecko fall on its head. (That's pretty funny; if you think about it, the "molecularly smooth" surfaces must have been even easier for the gecko to stick to.)

Anyway. It's a little tricky outside of theory, I imagine, but I say let's go for it! It's time for the human race to get vertical!