Also the name of a small town in Australia and a place in Scotland. There could be more!

Scone, Scotland

Just outside Perth in Perthshire, Scone was once the location of Scotland's Stone of Destiny. There's not so much a town here, rather an extensive estate. The famous castle is a celebrated tourist attraction bringing in the busloads. The setting is very attractive and the castle halls worth walking through.

Scone, New South Wales, Australia

Located in the Hunter Valley approximately 150 miles Northwest of Sydney, Scone is a small town with a population around 4500.

Known as the "Home of the Thoroughbred" or the "Horse Capital of Australia," Scone's major industry is horse breeding. It is said to have the largest horse breeding operation in any single area outside of Kentucky in the USA. A large number of well known stud operation are located in the district. These include Coolmore, Arrowfield, Emirates Park and Segenhoe. A highlight of the community calendar is "Horse Week," held each year usually in April. Activies include a street parade, racing carnival and yearling sale. The racing carnival is of sufficient quality to often attract trainers and jockeys from city based operations.

Another mainstay of the local economy is coal mining. While none are located in Scone itself, further down the Hunter Valley towards Newcastle, the closest within 20 minutes drive, are a large number of both open cut and underground coal mines. They are a major employer in the region.

There is very little alternative industry in Scone and other economic factors include viticulture, dairy, beef and supporting activities.

Scone has three primary and two high schools. Other facilities include a hospital, post office, railway station, two medium sized supermarkets, a swimming pool, three motels, two caravan parks, four petrol stations, a bowling club, golf club, rugby union club, Returned Services League club and five other pubs. The pubs are known as the Royal, Willow Tree, Golden Fleece, Thoroughbred and Belmore. The local weekly newspaper is known as the Scone Advocate. The New England Highway runs directly through the centre of town. Lake Glenbawn, which was formed by damming the Hunter River, is located close to the town and is a popular recreation destination.

Further information can be found on the Scone Shire Council website located at - http://scone.local-e.nsw.gov.au/