Oedipus's Qualities as a Leader

Bold, reckless, and arrogant were words that came to mind when I thought of Oedipus before reading SophoclesOedipus the King. Based on background information, I figured that this man was somewhat of a good ruler but a terrible person. A man who would murder his father and marry his mother must surely be a nasty person, even if the crimes were committed “accidentally”. I saw him as a man trying to use the oracles as a scapegoat, and trying to push blame around him as if it were not his fault. I thought of him as a weak person who could not stand up to his own actions.

I came to discover though, as I read the first Theban play, that Oedipus’s qualities greatly outweigh his faults. He was a good man with moral values instilled in his pure heart. From the first moment he was introduced, I saw what kind of ruler he was seen as by those he ruled. He was a hero who was rightfully at the head of the throne. Since he first became King shortly after he defeated the Sphinx in a battle of wit, he was looked upon by the people as the savior of the city. The citizens of Thebes were not afraid to ask Oedipus for help, because they knew he would deliver it. “What is the meaning of this thronging around my feet, this holding out of olive boughs all wreathed in woe?” He asked as the people gathered around him for support. The people knew their great king would help, and never turn his cheek away from his people.

Surely enough, Oedipus quickly finds out the problem and immediately tries to find a solution. His decisiveness and determination, more qualities of leadership, are evident as he proclaims the beginning of his investigation of the murder of Laius, the former king, with the following oath, “I am resolute, and shall not stop till with Apollo’s help all-blessed we emerge.”

Through this example, we also see into Oedipus’s personality. He is a simple man with strong goals and an unbending will. He begins the investigation at once with absolutely no leads or clues, and yet proceeds to promise his people that all will be solved and the gods’ curse lifted. He believes that every crime can be solved as long as an attempt is made, even if, to others, there is little hope. This is shown as he eagerly declares, “Then I shall go back and drag that shadowed past out to what was sorely present,” when he learns that the investigation was dropped ages ago and all evidence is now practically gone. However, through the same example, we also see that Oedipus is bold and sometimes rash. Many of his actions are hasty. He acts quickly on whims without thinking clearly and often turns against people he should trust simply because they bring bad news. While questioning the blind prophet Tiresias, he learns things that he does not like, and immediately turns against him despite the old man’s reputation and aged wisdom. “You think you can go on blabbering unscathed?” yells Oedipus as he hears Tiresias utter the same words that the oracle gave him long ago. Similarly, he turns against his own half-brother Creon because he suspects treachery. This lack of distrust and his refusal to heed the advice of others are his greatest faults.

Decisiveness is a good quality of leadership, but perhaps he has too much of a good quality. He is a great leader for his country because a country needs a bold and brave leader who takes action quickly to match the changing times, but on his own personal health his ‘qualities’ may take a heavy toll. As Creon says to him over and over again, “You are your own worst enemy.”