A shark is a predatory cartilaginous fish. Sharks are found in all types of seas, but typically prefer warm water. About 250 different species of sharks exist, ranging from the 2-ft pygamy shark to the 50-ft whale shark. Sharks have pointed noses and crescent-shaped mouths with several rows of triangular teeth. Sharks are warm-blooded animals, which means that their body temperature is higher than that of the water.

Actually, last week, in my college biology class, we watched a documentary all about Great White Sharks. If you study these sharks, you will find that they hunt in specific ways for their prey. They prefer a single target, which poses less of a threat. The shark cruises along the bottom, scanning the surface for the silhouettes of prey, such as sealions, dolphins, or seals. Their dark coloring on their dorsal side enables them to be unseen from the surface. The ventral white coloring prevents lower animals from seeing them above. Once a target is spotted, the shark picks up speed and crashes into the animal with a surprise attack. Normally, this huge blow either kills the target, or stuns them, allowing the shark to deliver another blow. The sharks backs off, waits for the animal to die, and then moves in for dinner. A shark uses its tail to assist it in sawing off pieces of food. They clamp on to the dead animal with their teeth, and then violently move their tail back and forth, sinking their teeth in farther, and ripping off a bite. On average, one shark makes about three kills a year, depending on the size of the targets.

Individual sharks compete for access to prey. Dominance is related to their size, with the larger sharks being more dominant, and also feeding first. They express dominance by body language. Characteristic postures are used to signal their intentions.