Title: Messiah
Developer: Shiny Entertainment
Publisher: Interplay
Date Published: March 2000
Platforms: PC CD-ROM, Dreamcast (aborted)

Developed by Shiny Entertainment, Messiah was published on PC CD-ROM by Interplay in March 2000. It was re-issued in 2003 as part of a budget software range by Sold Out Software, with manual and documentation included in Adobe Acrobat format. While the game was announced as a Dreamcast port in 2000, that platform's swift conversion to belly up status precluded actual release.

A third-person actioner, the game's protagonist is a small cherub, Bob. Generally reviled in Heaven for reasons unclear, Bob is sent to "rub out those screw ups down on Earth" by the big man Himself. Science has progressed to the point where a corporate facility on the dark side of the moon has begun making inroads into celestial and demonic domains. Reasoning that since God is omnipotent, Satan would make a much more reasonable business partner, research has concentrated on contacting the Horned One himself. The Powers That Be decide this must be stopped.

Falling from the clouds, Bob finds himself in a military/commercial district of a future city dystopia. As Bob resembles an infant, troublingly bulging nappy and all, he seems ill-equipped to deal with the array of cops, sewer denizens and heavily armed subculture persons he encounters. However, the twist is that he can possess and control any non-player character at will. This is accomplished by fluttering with his small angel wings into their backs and hence into their souls. This character is then completely under his control. When the body he is in is killed, Bob leaves it with a small somersault to toddle about on his own. Vulnerable as he is in his natural state, Bob heals himself from the energy of the possessee's body.

This is an intriguing gameplay mechanic, and provides much amusement - one memorable sequence features a garbage compactor as an obstacle. To get past it, Bob must stuff it full of unfortunate scientists, depossessing them as they fall into the crushing teeth.

This, unfortunately, is as good as the game gets. The rest is a drearily linear puzzle/shooter draped on the one key concept. The challenge is usually that, instead of the more traditional swipecards or keys, certain character types are required to open certain doors. It must be said that even this tired formula isn't entirely without some innovation, as Bob is occasionally compelled to possess sewer rats to squeeze under laser grids or through ducting.

While the idea of possessing and depossessing through different flavours of future dwellers is essentially a pretty good one, it seems like a single brainwave searching for a decent game. Visually, the game is uninspired - think of any and every Blade Runner-esque neon pageant you've ever seen. Game characters are similarly derivative of sub-cyberpunk "dirty" SF. The controls are lumpen and the camera frequently confusing. This, combined with the game's sheer plodding linearity, means that Messiah is initially quite fun but ultimately very unsatisfying.



Minimum system requirements:

Pentium 233 MHz
4x CD-ROM
64Mb RAM
8Mb 3D card, DirectX 7 compatible
DirectX 7 compatible sound card
600Mb hard disc space