This is going to sound un-PC, so ladies, feel free to node your side of the story...

Ugly Girlfriend and Wingman are distinct characters you will invariably see every night at any bar, club, or pub you might go to. When a man (we'll call him Beau) approaches a female (let's call her Belle) in these surroundings, she is almost invariably going to be accompanied by... her Ugly Girlfriend. Keep in mind that the Ugly Girlfriend may not necessarily be physically unattractive. It's just that Beau has decided that she's not as attractive as Belle. In fact, Belle and Ugly Girlfriend may have their roles reversed the next night, or even later in the same evening! It's all in the eye of the beholder... or something like that.

However, when just Beau, Belle, and Ugly Girlfriend are present, the following situation will invariably occur...

               BEAU

     This place is a little stuffy.  Want to go someplace 
     else?

               BELLE

     Sure, I'd....

               UGLY GIRLFRIEND
          (annoyed)

     ....uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh.  She's not going anywhere with 
     you, because she has to take me home because I'm 
     tired!  
And that, friends, is the end of that. Which is why Beau needs... his Wingman. Wingman takes one for the team. He's in charge of distraction tactics and keeping the Ugly Girlfriend entertained. Let's face it: When someone's talking to your friend, and not to you, it can get a little annoying. In a way, Wingman is helping out everyone. He may even end up "hooking up" with Ugly-Girlfriend, although that is simply an unexpected benefit, and certainly not the Wingman's primary goal. Now let's go back to our previous encounter, but this time, Wingman is present and in full effect...

               BEAU

     This place is a little stuffy.  Want to go someplace 
     else?

               BELLE

     Sure, I'd love to, but what about my Ugly Girlfriend?

               BEAU

     Don't worry about her.  My Wingman will keep her 
     occupied...

               WINGMAN
          (laying it on thick)

     ...so I said to the guy, "Buddy!"  I look him square 
     in the eyes, and say, "Buddy!  I don't care if we have 
     to drive all night.  We're going to be there by 
     morning!"

               UGLY GIRLFRIEND
          (distracted, distraught)

     Hey, where did Belle go?
If Wingman is a true Wingman, he keeps Ugly Girlfriend entertained until she either pushes him away or decides to leave, in which case Wingman hails a cab for her. It is essential that the Wingman do this, otherwise Ugly Girlfriend will notify Belle of what an asshole all of Beau's friends are, which can lead to much grief for Beau, and cause him to be more reluctant in the future to be Wingman's Wingman.