Depleted Uranium a comment from Ireland

During the NATO bombing of Kosovo top army officials and spokespersons assured us that there would be no lasting environmental damage. The weaponry was supposed to be 'smart', hi-tech and clean. But now there is growing evidence of the permanent harm done by the use of depleted uranium munitions.

NATO officials recently (2001) admitted that their aircraft fired more than 10,000 depleted uranium missiles in Bosnia between 1994 and 1995 and that they fired them on 112 sites in Kosovo in 1999. A UN survey has found evidence of "considerable contamination" by radioactivity at 8 of 11 sites hit by depleted uranium weapons in Kosovo. Another UN report in May warned that much of Kosovo's water could be considered unfit to drink.

Six Italian soldiers who served in the region have contracted leukemia and died. In Belgium, five cases of cancer have been diagnosed in soldiers who served in the Balkans. Several cases of leukemia have developed among Dutch soldiers and Spanish military personal are to undergo a check. Irish personnel currently stationed in the region have been told not to drink the local water or eat locally produced food.

In the space of just a day the Irish Defence Forces did a u-turn on the issue and have announced that all personnel who were in the region will be screened for cancer. But they have not joined the calls from other European countries for a ban on depleted uranium weapons and a full enquiry.