Here's the News for the day as of 2:23pm Central European Time:
________________________________________________________________________________

International Hearld Tribune (www.iht.com)

U.S. Envoys Renew Mideast Shuttling

International envoys, led by the American diplomats based here, began shuttling between Israeli and Palestinian leaders Tuesday in a renewed push for a halt to violent hostilities, based on the recommendations of an international fact-finding committee.

Leak Strains Germany's Relations With U.S.
A leaked diplomatic cable from the German Embassy in Washington has strained German-American relations, raised questions about Germany's relationship with the Libyan leader, Colonel Moammar Gadhafi, and prompted a furious fight between the top officials who shape foreign policy.

Taleban Plans Identity Tags for Hindus
Hindus will be required to wear an identity label on their clothing in Islamic Afghanistan to distinguish them from Muslims, a Taleban minister said Tuesday.

German Confidence Plunges While Inflation Surges
Germany's economic prospects darkened Tuesday as a raft of reports showed waning business confidence, slowing growth and rising inflation - a gloomy combination that knocked the European single currency to its lowest level in six months.

A New Poke in the Eye: China Bristles Over Tibet
A Chinese government spokesman urged American leaders to "stop interfering in China's internal affairs" by permitting official meetings with the Dalai Lama and warned of "harm to Chinese-American relations."

Ford Prepares to Recall 13 Million Firestone Tires
Ford Motor Co. was set late Tuesday to announce the recall of as many as 13 million more Firestone tires at a cost of $3 billion.

Business Warns on Indonesia Unrest
Indonesia's economy is still growing despite a deepening political crisis, but investors and business executives warned Tuesday that continued instability would create a serious slowdown, pushing unemployment and inflation to levels that could fuel widespread social unrest.
________________________________________________________________________________

BBC (www.news.bbc.co.uk)

Israel halts 'offensive action'

Israeli troops are ordered not to open fire on Palestinians unless there is a threat to life, but the Palestinians describe the move as a "trick".

Corruption report stuns cricket world
A report into match-fixing in cricket says a conspiracy of silence is allowing corrupt practices to continue.

Parties battle over Europe
The Tories reveal an EU document on harmonising taxes, but Labour says it is against it too.

Vets tackle disease cluster
Efforts to stamp out a new cluster of UK foot-and-mouth cases are increased, as the government is accused of letting down rural businesses.

Party switch could swing US Senate
Jim Jeffords could be about to leave the Republicans in a dramatic switch that would hand Democrats control of the upper house.
________________________________________________________________________________

The New York Times (www.nytimes.com)

Israel Tells Army Not to Fire Unless Lives Are Endangered

In a step toward a cease-fire in the Middle East, the Israeli military has ordered its troops to open fire only in self-defense.

Senator From Vermont Says He May Leave G.O.P.
Republicans worked to dissuade Senator James M. Jeffords, a Vermont Republican, from changing parties and giving control of the Senate to the Democrats.

Dogged Fight by Democrats Delays Tax Bill
The Senate grappled with the tax cut legislation as Democrats, lacking the votes to block it, argued against the plan.

Lobbying Puts Nuclear Power Back Into the Political Arena
The Bush administration has breathed new life into the nuclear power industry, declaring nuclear technology much safer than it was 20 years ago.

Devils to Face Colorado in Stanley Cup Finals
________________________________________________________________________________

Panapress (www.panapress.com/english)

Tunisian peacekeepers arrive in Kinshasa

Kinshasa, DR Congo - A contingent of 250 Tunisian soldiers, who are among the first armed peacekeepers in the UN Observer Mission to Congo (MONUC), have arrived in Kinshasa where they would take up positions at the airport and surrounding areas.

University of Pretoria launches Desmond Tutu Chair
Johannesburg, South Africa - Archbishop Desmond Tutu received a rousing welcome from University of Pretoria students and staff when he launched the Desmond Tutu Chair in Leadership Development and Future Studies at the campus on Tuesday.

Senegalese, Moroccan leaders worry over Middle East
Dakar, Senegal - The Senegalese and Moroccan Heads of State have expressed concern about the escalation of violence in the West Bank and Gaza, which President Abdoulaye Wade blamed on "the warfarist policy of the Israeli government."

Ethiopian medics urge for better access to essential drugs
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Against the backdrop of increasing deaths from malaria, tuberculosis and AIDS, the Ethiopian medical association meeting in its 37th annual conference, has called for better access of the population to essential medicines.

Researcher decries imballances in trade regulations
Paris, France - Despite calls for a new round of World Trade Organisation (WTO) talks critical issues of concern for developing countries in the existing world trade agreements signed in Marrakech, Morocco have yet to be addressed, notes Oxfam (Belgium) researcher Raoul Marc Jenner.

Foreign troops to begin DR Congo pull out next February
Lusaka, Zambia - Defence and Foreign Affairs ministers from countries involved in the DR Congo conflict, have agreed to begin the withdrawal of their troops by 22 February next year.
________________________________________________________________________________

China Daily (http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/news/index.html)

Bush positive on China ties -- US official

US President George W. Bush was "positive" on ties with China, a top US official said Tuesday, despite tension over the visit of Daila Lama and Taiwan leader Chen Shui-bian's stopover in New York.

NGOs back Beijing's Olympic bid
Beijing's bid to host the 2008 Olympic Games has not only aroused awareness across the country but also gained support from abroad.

Greater security in securities
China's securities authority vowed to strengthen management of securities clearance funds Tuesday to avoid embezzlement of the funds by brokerages.

Chinese-Americans and students studying in the United States stage a protest
Chinese-Americans and students studying in the United States stage a protestin New York against US playing host to Taiwan pro-independence leader Chen Shui-bian. Chen is making a two-day stopover in New York on his way to a Central America visit.
________________________________________________________________________________

Moscow Times (www.themoscowtimes.com)

Putin Shrugs Off Reports of Aid Cuts

The president has dismissed reports that the United States and Germany had agreed to withhold aid.

President Backs Broad Court Reforms
The prosecutor general has stepped up his criticism of the plans to curb his office's powers.

OMON Attack Trial Hits a Snag
The trial of seven men accused in the attack on an OMON unit in Chechnya last year hit a snag Tuesday.

Sakharov's Ideals Can Save Russia
Andrei Sakharov would have turned 80 this week, giving us reason to think about the ideals he championed.

Ex-KGB, CIA Spooks Join to Fight Cyber-Spies
A former head of KGB code-scrambling and an ex-director of the CIA rolled out Monday what they called a revolutionary way of hiding Internet communications from prying eyes.
________________________________________________________________________________

Happy Birthday to
mblase