Born on January 2, 1969 in Bellflower California, Robbie has been racing for most of his life. Gordon, not related at all to the other Gordon in Nascar, started as an off-road racer, not a dirt track or short track like most of Nascars current racers. In 1985, Robbie won his first off-road race in the first series event he entered. Between 1986 and 1989, Gordon would win four SCORE/HDRA championships with different teams and drivers.

1990 saw a large change in Gordon's career as he made the move to professional automobile racing. He raced for Roush Racing, including wining 24 Hours of Daytona and placed second in the IMSA GTO series. Also this year would be his first stock car superspeedway even where he took the pole position in the ARCA race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

In 1991, Robbie Gordon made the move to NASCAR Winston Cup with his debut in the Daytona 500, finishing 18. Gordon would race at Richmond Internation Raceway and also win 24 Hours of Daytona for the second year in a row.

In 1993, Robbie started racing full time for CART and competed in the Indianapolis 500. Five full seasons in CART racing and only part time in NASCAR would earn him the moniker of being a "ringer" and a road course specialist for the Winston Cup fans. Gordon had several chances to win the Indy 500, but each time something new went wrong, either running out of fuel, a suspension breaking or getting into a wreck. (At one point his car caught on fire, giving him second-degree and third-degree burns on his hands, wrist and right thigh.)

In 2000, Robbie started racing in the Winston Cup with a team he co-owned and in 2001 won his first ever Winston Cup race for RCR at New Hampshire Internation Speedway. Gordon took over full time for Mike Skinner after he needed surgery on his knee. Gordon currently races in the number 31, Cingular Wierless Chevrolet.


Information from this node taken from www.nascar.com www.rcrracing.com and www.teamgordon.com