CUT & PASTE & EDIT


Most of the information has been taken from spending way too much time watching the Simpsons and also some of it has come from the greatest Simpsons

7F06

The first Fox and Global network broadcasts (12/06/90) were extensively cut and time compressed to make room for the "Do the Bartman" music video, which premiered after the closing credits. The full version was seen by Global viewers for the first time upon the episode's second showing. The second broadcast to Fox viewers, however, was cut again (identically, except that Homer's second fall over the cliff was now included) to make room for Desert Shield news coverage. Fox finally broadcast the original version upon the episode's third air date.

7F14

The first Fox and Global network broadcasts were extensively cut and time compressed to make room for the "Deep, Deep Trouble" music video, which premiered after the credits. The full version was seen for the first time upon the episode's second showing on both networks.

7F20

The third Fox network repeat (08/20/92) reportedly featured an extra scene not present in the first or second showings. It is unknown whether this mystery footage appeared at any time on the Global network.

8F01

The single Fox network repeat of this episode reportedly featured an extra scene not present in the first network showing. It is unknown whether this mystery footage appeared at any time on the Global network.

8F07

The first Fox and Global network broadcasts were extensively cut and time compressed to make room for Michael Jackson's "Black or White" music video, which premiered after the closing credits. The full version was seen for the first time upon the episode's second showing on both networks.

8F12

At the request of the network, to coincide with their coverage of the NFL, Fox had various portions of this episode continually re-dubbed to match the current season's football team titles. For all Fox network broadcasts, the dialogue changes were as follows:

01/23/92 Teams:
Washington Redskins, Buffalo Bills
Stadium: Minneapolis Metrodome


06/11/92 Teams:
Washington Redskins, Buffalo Bills
Stadium: Minneapolis Metrodome

01/28/93 Teams:
Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills
Stadium: Pasadena Rose Bowl

09/18/94 Teams:
Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills
Stadium: Pasadena Rose Bowl

Other: "Week eight of the NFL on Fox" was changed to "Week three of the NFL on Fox." Also, "Including our newest affiliate, W Gimul Aleph Nun in Tel Aviv" was changed to something referring to new Fox affiliates having left CBS due to the NFL network swap.
It is unknown whether any of these changes took place on Global. In syndication, the dialogue present in the episode's first Fox network run is heard.

3F10

All Fox network and Global broadcasts featured Haing S. Ngor's name on Homer's stolen oscar award. However, in syndication, the name instead appears as Don Ameche.

AABF01

Due to an error on Fox's behalf when pre-assembling the show's modern split-screen credits, Regis Philbin screaming, "My eyes! My beautiful eyes!" was not heard over the first broadcast's (10/25/98) Gracie Films logo. The error was corrected for all Fox network repeat showings. Global viewers were never subject to Fox's mistake, and heard the dialogue correctly in all broadcasts.

AABF15

The first Fox and Global broadcasts of this episode excluded a poke at hostages, on behalf of the three United States soldiers being held captive in Kosovo at the time. The scene appeared in all Fox and Global repeats.

CENSORSHIP

8F04

The first Fox network broadcast featured Bart's retort to Milhouse as, "Bad influence, my ass!" Later in the episode, just as the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant was about to melt down on behalf of Homer's incompetence, Mr. Burns stated, "I guess there's nothing left but to kiss my sorry butt goodbye."

After receiving complaints, Fox ordered the producers to alter Bart's dialogue, which in turn led to a negotiated compromise. All Fox repeats featured Bart's line as, "Bad influence, my butt!" and Mr. Burns' as "I guess there's nothing left but to kiss my sorry ass goodbye."

This change was never made to Global's copy of the episode. The original dialogue appears in syndication.
9F05

In the first Fox network broadcast (11/05/92), Bart attempted to make use of his claim to suffering Tourette's Syndrome to escape a test, at which point he hollered "Shove it, witch!" and began barking. After receiving complaints, Fox ordered the producers to change the affliction in question to "rabies" and to cut the remainder of the scene for all Fox network repeats. This censorship was never observed in Global's repeat broadcasts of the episode.

The original dialogue appears in syndication. However, the "Shove it, witch!" and barking footage is still missing, presumably--in this case--on behalf of nothing more than a traditional (non-censorship related) syndication cut.
2F18

Prior to the episode's first network broadcast, Fox ordered the producers to re-animate a scene in which Santa's Little Helper was shown (full-screen) mating She's The Fastest at the dog track. When the creators furnished a version showing "the act" from only the shoulders up, Fox still objected, and replaced the entire scene in-house with a frozen still of the family sitting in the grandstands. This version was seen in all Fox network airings.

The "shoulders-up" version nevertheless appears in syndication. Global viewers were not subject to Fox's censorship and saw the "shoulders-up" version in all Global network broadcasts. It was also reported by former animation director David Silverman that the "full-screen" version somehow made it into the copy sent New Zealand way.
3F01

In the first Fox network broadcast, Milhouse shows his new pet monkey to Bart, which he had found unconscious in a wicker basket purchased from Pier 1 Imports. Unbeknownst to him, the monkey is an apparent carrier of the Ebola virus (the overal event being a parody of the movie Outbreak).
After presumably receiving complaints from Pier 1, Fox ordered the producers to remove the reference to "Pier 1," and as a result, it became "Trader Pete's" in all Fox repeats.

The original dialogue was never changed in Global's broadcasts. In syndication, however, the replacement line is present.
3F07

Prior to the episode's network debut, Fox had the store detective's line, "If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I'd be at home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose," cut from the episode. The dialogue was never restored for any of the Fox network repeats.

The original dialogue does, however, appear in syndication. Additionally, Global's copy was never equivocally censored.
4F19

In all Global network broadcasts, the scene of Frank Grimes being electrocuted was cut (leaving only the sizzling sound and sight of shocked co-workers intact).
The scene was never cut by Fox and appears intact in syndication.

AABF08

After the episode's first Fox network broadcast (01/31/99), Fox ordered a reference to "The Catholic Church" changed simply to "The Church" in response to pressure from the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

It is unknown whether the original dialogue will return in syndication, as this episode has not yet premiered there. As well, this censorship never materialized on Global.

ALTERED OPENINGS

7F01

The original calkboard writing ("I will not Xerox my butt"), which appeared in the first (11/01/90) and second Fox network showings, was changed to "Potato not potatoe" in the third (and final) network airing to honor Dan Quayle. The change was never observed on Global. In syndication, the standard short opening sequence format (without chalkboard scene) is used for this episode.
8F03

The first Fox network broadcast (10/10/91) featured a short (direct-to-driveway) opening sequence for unknown reasons. All Fox network repeats provided the original full version. The opening was never shortened for any of Global's broadcasts. In syndication, the infamous 'double Simpsons' opening sequence (from 1F01) was used for this episode.
8F04

The first Fox network broadcast (10/17/91) featured a shorter opening sequence to make room for a special promotion of Michael Jackson's upcoming music video on Fox. All Fox network repeats provided the original full version. The opening was never shortened for any of Global's broadcasts. In syndication, the infamous 'double Simpsons' opening sequence (from 1F01) was used for this episode.
8F05

The first Fox network broadcast again featured a shorter opening sequence to make room for a special promotion of Michael Jackson's upcoming music video on Fox. All Fox network repeats provided the original full version. The opening was never shortened for any of Global's broadcasts. In syndication, the standard short opening sequence format (without chalkboard scene) is used for this episode.
8F07

All Fox network repeats of this episode featured the short (direct-to-driveway) opening sequence for unknown reasons. The original opening was always shown in Global's repeats. In syndication, the standard short opening sequence format (without chalkboard scene) is used for this episode.
9F01

The first Fox network broadcast featured the short (direct-to-driveway) opening for unknown reasons. The couch scene showed the family entering the room and finding the couch missing. In all Fox network repeats, the opening was restored to full length, revealing the chalkboard phrase, "I will not prescribe medication." All Global broadcasts featured the full-length opening. However, the chalkboard phrase was "I will not defame New Orleans" instead. The couch scene was also different, featuring the couch pivoting the family into a secret passageway.

In syndication, the infamous 'double Simpsons' opening sequence (from 1F01) was used for this episode.
9F02

All Fox network broadcasts of this episode featured the full opening, with the chalkboard phrase, "I will not defame New Orleans." All Global broadcasts featured the full-length opening as well, but with the chalkboard phrase, "I will not prescribe medication."
In syndication, the infamous 'double Simpsons' opening sequence (from 1F01) was used for this episode.
5F19

The first Fox network broadcast of this episode featured the chalkboard phrase, "butt.com is not my e-mail address." All Fox network repeats, however, changed this line to "butt.butt is not my e-mail address." This change was not made to any of Global's broadcasts. It is unknown whether the change will carry-over to syndication, as this episode has not yet premiered there.

MISCELLANEOUS

7F21

The third Fox network repeat of this episode featured a tribute to the final episode of The Cosby Show. In the scene, Bart said, "If I ever had a hit show, I'd run it into the ground," to which Homer replied, "That's my boy!" It is unknown where within the episode this was seen, or if any other footage was cut (or time compressed) to compensate for the additional time used by the insert. The footage was never shown on Global and does not appear in the syndicated version.
7F24

In the second Fox network broadcast (01/30/92), a special scene was added before the opening sequence in response to then-President Bush's January 27 comment about The Simpsons. In the scene, the family is shocked when Bush says that American families should be "a lot more like The Waltons and a lot less like The Simpsons" in a televised speech. Bart turns to the camera and says, "Hey, we're just like The Waltons. We're praying for an end to the depression, too!" The animation was recycled from episode 7F02.

Oddly, after this scene, the full-length title sequence from episode 8F03 was presented rather than the appropriate opening for 7F24 itself. It is unknown whether any other footage from the episode was cut (or time compressed) to compensate for the additional time used by this special insert. The footage was never shown on Global and does not appear in the syndicated version.

SYNDICATION NOTES

9F11

Because of the alternate commercial break format, a small portion of the end credits music ("You Make Me Feel") is re-played at the beginning of the credits segment to avoid any interruption of the vocals. As a result of this offset, the Gracie Films music is not heard, with the final seconds of "You Make Me Feel" taking its place.
9F13

In all Fox and Global network airings, the closing credits music ("Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head") began over the Executive Producer credits at the end of act III. To prevent the music from being interrupted in syndication (where a commercial break exists between act III and the credits), the music was shifted further in, to the start of the main credits segment. As a result, nothing is heard during the Executive Producer credits in syndication. Similarly, because of the offset, the final seconds of "Raindrops" are heard over the Gracie Films logo (whereas in the original version, the logo contained the sound of Homer giggling and ringing his bicycle bell).
5F12

In all Fox and Global network airings, act II ends after Chief Wiggum instructs Homer to stop saying "Hawaii." In syndication, however, the commercial break has been moved so that act II ends with Homer putting up his hands and sinking in the ocean. Act III then begins with the final moments of the mug shot photography session, which, originally, was still a part of act II.

The commercial format of syndicated episodes varies from the original Fox (and Global) network versions as follows:


Original Versions
Opening Sequence
Commercial Break
Act I
Commercial Break
Act II
Commercial Break
Act III
End Credits

Syndicated Versions

Opening Sequence
Act I
Commercial Break
Act II
Commercial Break
Act III
Commercial Break
End Credits

As an unfortunate result, some episodes which feature dialogue, music or live action transitioning between the final act and end credits are rudely interrupted with the insertion of commercials. The affected episodes include 8F24, 9F05, 9F05, 9F11, 9F13, 9F14, 1F21, 2F32, 4F16, 5F03, 5F07, 5F08 and 5F18.
Strangely, the syndicators preserved the original commercial format for other episodes with transitioning content. Comprising this batch are episodes 2F03, 3F03, 3F04, 3F06, 3F17, 3F22, 3F24, 3F31, 3G03, 4F03, 4F05, 4F11 and 4F22.


Thanks goes to Springfield Nuclear Power Plant for help with this node. Along with wasting most my life in front of the tv watching Simpsons. I will continue to update this and will provide many more links to and from this node.