The Final Fantasy series brought to us from Square Soft is a set of long, well constructed Role Playing Games.
Each game is a new adventure, usually with five or more major characters that have never been seen in a previous Final Fantasy, or at least, have not been the same character.

The first 6 FF games were all set in medieval worlds, with thieves, mages, warriors and other professions used by the main characters. Each Final Fantasy was unique except for those characteristics. But when FF7 was released to the world, we all noticed a whole new game.
Here was no standard Final Fantasy game, here was something new - totally different. We were introduced to a futuristic setting, new methods of fighting, spell casting, and character abilities. No longer were we using different varieties of mages that could use only certain types of magic or restrictive character professions! We could choose which character could do which abilities and most importantly, we had more control over the game.

But following FF7 came a new, even more spectacular Final Fantasy game. FF8 was released to us, and once again, we were placed in a futuristic setting - it was almost becoming a trend. The plot was easier to follow than that of Final Fantasy 7's yet the characters were given much more depth, and the player was able to relate to the characters in at a never seen before level in a FF game. The junctioning / fighting system however, in some peoples eyes, was far too difficult to comprehend. And with that in mind, Square Soft produced Final Fantasy 9.

Final Fantasy 9 could only be seen to be a combination of the "Old School" format of Final Fantasy and the newer FF7 and 8 games. This time, the player is sent into an unknown time setting, where there are flying machines, yet only basic weapons. Perhaps one could say it was nearing the industrial stage, but not yet there. Final Fantasy 9 brings a new fighting system into play, that is fairly similar to Final Fantasy 8, yet incorporates the professions of the early Final Fantasy series, which does limit the player to in some ways, but with the added "New school" techniques, the limitations are marginalised to a large degree.