Texas, Maryland is located in Baltimore County just west of Cockeysville, and is roughly bounded by Warren Road to the north, Interstate 83 to the west, York Road to the east, and Padonia Road to the south. It is home to the Baltimore area's largest stone quarry, which is owned by Redland Genstar, Inc. Stone, mostly white limestone and Marble has been quarried here since before the Civil War The marble mined in Texas was used to build the first 152 feet of the Washington Monument, and many of the Federal Government buildings in Washington, DC, as well as the marble steps ubiquitous to Baltimore's rowhouses. The marble was moved by rail to Washington as early as the 1840s. The marble was also used to construct a monument to George Washingon in Baltimore as well. Today the quarry not only provides limestone and Marble for building construction, but also aggregates and other stone products. Most of the asphalt used to pave the streets and roads around Baltimore comes from plants in and around the Texas quarry as well.

Texas is also the home of most of Baltimore County's waste management facilities, including a landfill and recycling center. County Residents can also dump their bulk trash off here without paying a tipping fee, but be prepared to show proof of residence.

References:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/stones/stones4.html
http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/brochures/buildst.html