The second amendment, has been twisted to mean that people are allowed to own guns, and there is nothing the government can do about it. However, recent research has led to a different interpretation of this right. The different interpretation has come from a debunking of American myths.

When one imagines American settlers, one thinks of men brandishing their guns. The myth goes, every settler had a gun, knew how to use it, and many backwoods farmers were crack shots. The reality could be the exact opposite. Many early Americans did not even own guns. Historians have reviewed countless wills, estate holdings, and other public records. The conclusion was, few Americans owned guns. Those that were owned were passed down as family heirlooms. The majority of guns were too large, too old, and too inaccurate for anyone to use.

The idea of a militia of sharpshooters in American history is very inconceivable. However, it gets worse. When militias did practice, many of the men were drunk. Many drills were not completed as the men were unskilled and incapacitated.

Then why is there a second amendment? The recent theory, not one accepted by the NRA, is that the second amendment was not intended for private citizens to own guns. The plan was for the states to continue supporting a militia, a traditional body the states had come to want. The federal government wanted the states to arm themselves, not their citizens.